Whats the WORST item of clothing you have ever bought & WHY?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Just interested to see what peoples opinions are on the worst items of outdoor clothing they have ever bought. Any items you would never buy again? Anything that really did not live up to the hype?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I bought some cheap boots from Cotton Traders, described as waterproof and suitable for mountain use. I should have known better from the price. They leaked on their first contact with a puddle (water went straight through the seams) and after 2 days of wear had warped completely out of shape. The soles were thinner than those on my trainers.

Utter rubbish, and it put me off the entire Cotton Traders brand, not just the boots. I didn't even ask for a refund I was so disgusted, just wanted nothing more to do with suppliers of such tat.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
A hooded sweatshirt. Back in my climbing days a number of friends in the mountaineering club wore them and I thought it would be a good idea as I would always have a had to pop on ready in case I needed one without having to stop and dig one out the rucksack.

I think I wore it once before I gave it away to a mate - couldn't stand the way the hood bunched up behind my head and got caught under a coat or jacket that you put on top of it.

The wife and my girls all wear them though, but they are not for me! - I think it is a good idea but not for me, can't understand the idea of an armless jacket with a hood though, that's just plain stupid!

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
The wife and I bought two matching rain jackets for a winter holiday in Cornwall. After half an hour in them, we both ended up sweating more than Jimmy Savile at Legoland. Grim.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Karrimor trail shoes of all types. I bought a few for work and a more expensive Event pair. Every one has lost their soles, the Event pair leaked after 2 weeks. Shoe-goo will not stick to the foam they use and I suspect thats why they fall apart. They are unrepairable.

Almost as if they are designed to fall apart pretty quickly.

One of the best brands of all time, now a shadow of its former self after it was bought out by the Sports Direct outfit.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Ditto on the Karrimor boots, had two pairs, rubbish. Can't seem to get a good pair of boots these days without selling a kidney. Don't think that I've every had a pair of boots better than my RAF high leg DMS boots. Even my £95 boots from Mountain Warehouse have started to let water in between the sole and the leather upper.

Karrimor must have gone down hill on the boot front. Although I have a 45lt Sabre rucksack and love it very well made and strong.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Remember that Karrimor sabre sacs are a different company from the other Karrimor products.
I have Karrimor boots from before the sell out that are great.

Genuine surplus windbreaker/anorack... (bushcraft e-bay product)! Bloody awful. Made entirely of nylon, totally naff. What was I thinking? The missus paid for it, so I cant sell the damn thing.. And she went mad when I bought a decent jacket and a swanndri!!
Have contemplated trying to do something with it? A shame I couldnt shrink it in the wash!
Total tosh!

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
Years ago I bought a short sleeved north face shirt in an end of season sale. Pleased with a bargain I took it out hiking for a day wearing a light rucksack, by the end of the day the shoulders already has started to fray badly. That was the first and last time I bought anything from that brand!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Craghopper kiwi trousers. Don't stand up to any serious thorns, brambles, mud, barbed wire anything vaguely involving hard work. Probably fine for a bimble down the footpaths but rubbish for working outdoors.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not really bought, but for me it was anything the Army issued.

It's either too heavy, poorly designed, cheaply made or simply doesn't work.
NI rucksack is a prime example, i'd sooner throw a bin linear over my shoulder.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Not really bought, but for me it was anything the Army issued.

It's either too heavy, poorly designed, cheaply made or simply doesn't work.
NI rucksack is a prime example, i'd sooner throw a bin linear over my shoulder.

i've never read such a stupid post on any forum !

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
i've never read such a stupid post on any forum !

Thank you for you comprehensive and insightful response Robbi.

Odd that not only have you not put forward an opinion, your ONLY post on this thread is deride another members opinion.
Bad day at the office?

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Another for karrimor trail shoes, the most uncomfortable and unsupportive shoes I have ever worn. Wouldnt give them to my enemies.

Worst shoe ever...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ditto on the Karrimor boots, had two pairs, rubbish. Can't seem to get a good pair of boots these days without selling a kidney. Don't think that I've every had a pair of boots better than my RAF high leg DMS boots. Even my £95 boots from Mountain Warehouse have started to let water in between the sole and the leather upper.

Karrimor must have gone down hill on the boot front. Although I have a 45lt Sabre rucksack and love it very well made and strong.

Awful boots and shoes. Had two pairs of shoes and they fell to bits in no time and squeaked up until they did.
2 Pairs of walking boots, one pair with vibram soles and both fell to bits in no time. The last vibram pair leaked like a sieve, started to miss-shape, lost two eyes. Poor show all round.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I did not mind the ARMY Kit. The first issue hi legs never had a problem running in. The tropical DPM kit was superb, the JHW still wear to keep warm and the sleeping bag although bulky kept me warm and its no bulkier than my favourite Buffalo Sleeping bag

Even lightweight when I used to have a pair became my outdoor and hillwalking trousers

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
In support of the Karrimor shoes I have owned two pairs in my life. The first a pair of the original KSB's which I wore till I grew out of them (and was gutted as they were great) the second I have on at the moment a pair of summit approach shoes which I bought from sports direct for about £15 in the sale a year or two ago. I have to say they look like new still, and have found them very comfortable (I have a MAJOR problem with finding shoes that fit at least 50% of what I buy that seem ok in the shop are cast aside after a day or two of wear!) I only wear them as trainers mind but I have been very happy.

perhaps I got a pair made on a Monday......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE