What's the point in SAK saws?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I really don't get the point in having a SAK with a saw. most things that you could cut through with such a small saw would be easy enough to put against your knee and snap it which would take a lot less effort than 10 minutes sawing.

Am I missing something? :confused:
Asa.

sorry the SAK saw is the main reason i use em tho i prefer the slightly larger ones on the Locking versions

cuts 2" saplings down very quick and saws them up clean cuts etc good for cutting square conered joints and notches Fig 4 is easy with a sak saw etc
puts the SAK intoa a bigger knife league

obviously not a laplander in size but fits in the pocket
the most usfull blade in the woods after the locking knife

ATB

Duncan

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Off the top of my head
What about if you wanted to make soemething with green wood and wanted a neat cut
I agree that snapping firewood is the easiest way and I dont think a SAK saw is going to be anybodys first choice for that
But they are a handy tool in a small package and they do cut fairly well also useful in DIY
Also there are different sizes eg The Forester is 111mm while Camper is 91mm
lol not that I think thats a dealbreaker
SAKs are like Marmite really

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've used them many a time to gather staves for shelters, tripods etc.

They cope easily with 2" thick hazel etc.

I recall making a frame for a bucksaw using the saw too. Not impossible with a knife blade but far more time consuming

As Dunc says, try a big one - but even the ones on campers etc. punch above their weight!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
If you coppice hazel wands or other live wood for example, then a small narrow saw is perfect, snapping them off leaves an ugly scar, which is prone to infection and die back. Small saw that leaves a neat cut rather than a scar is more than good; it is the right thing to do and should be ‘must’ for everyone.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ah the elder whistles! i got mine to go two tone ;) that was mega fun, and yeah SAK saws really do punch above their weight, good for just about most saplings or branches tbh. well worth it.
and as tadpole stated a clean cut is better then a harsh snap, unless of course its Rhododendron in which case you should mangle, maim and generally annihilate.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
If you coppice hazel wands or other live wood for example, then a small narrow saw is perfect, snapping them off leaves an ugly scar, which is prone to infection and die back. Small saw that leaves a neat cut rather than a scar is more than good; it is the right thing to do and should be ‘must’ for everyone.

Agreed.

Just used mine for some arrow shafts - 1cm hazel wands.

Leaves a nice clean cut, no splintering, EDC(mine's on a Huntsman) so I've always got it if I pass a likely spot.

Jim.

G

GearUpEurope.com

You can use the shavings from sawing for fire starting tinder.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Fish descaling. I don't carry an SAK habitually but when I did I honestly used it for that more than as a saw.

These days I carry an Army folding knife and find the marlinspike much more useful.

Richard

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Agreed.

Just used mine for some arrow shafts - 1cm hazel wands.

Leaves a nice clean cut, no splintering, EDC(mine's on a Huntsman) so I've always got it if I pass a likely spot.

Jim.

exactly the reason i carry a SAK with saw as EDC. if i spot a good bit of hazel i can cut it and know i leave a clean cut and won't kill off the tree whilst gaining a rather nice piece of staff type wood!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I have even used the saw when I fitted my kitchen as I didnt have a saw to cut holes in the cupboards for the plumbing.
As has been said the punch above thier wieght they will cut a pine plank if you need or a pallet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE