What's the point in Goretex bivis?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I keep my roll mat and sleeping bag in my bivi bag all rolled up and strapped to the outside of my bag its quite bulky like that but I can just unstrap it and roll it out, Ideal if its getting dark or wet.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
roll mat in the bivibag?
so you wear out the expensive Gore-tex fabric rather than a cheap roll mat?

I often pack the bivibag with sleeping bag and stuff it into the main section of my pack you can then use the side straps of the pack to cmpress the whole thing, neat eh?
The roll mat always stays outside.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
To help the packing of bivi bag and sleeping bag I often grab the foot end and spin them round which gets a lot of the air out of them, then roll it up more.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
roll mat in the bivibag?

I have another roll mat I use as well but I have that set up just in case I need to set up quickly, also my bivi cost less than my roll mat :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I have another roll mat I use as well but I have that set up just in case I need to set up quickly, also my bivi cost less than my roll mat :)
so you carry 2 roll mats?

so 1 mat protecting your sleeping bag and is being protected by the bivibag?

so you have another underneath to protect the bivibag?
the 2nd one seems a bit redundant...:confused:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I do something similar to:

roll mat in the bivibag?
I have another roll mat I use as well but I have that set up just in case I need to set up quickly, also my bivi cost less than my roll mat

I would never willingly pat more than a tenner for a brand new MOD bivi bag, but a decent roll mat can be a lot more than that!

Not only that, but the gore tex (or whatever MVP) under you is not going to work properly, as it is directly onto a hard surface. Add to the the fact that if the mat is in the bivi, you will not slide off it, and thus will stay insulated properly. If you have a good sized roll mat, it will also protect your side area from heat loss, which is something it cannot do laid out flat. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I use a Kathmandu basha at 2.5m square and a Rab survival zone. All in it is lighter than all but the Laser Photon (or is it? mine is about 650g the photon is760g isn't it?) and the new TN Laser with the cuben fibre outer. Those are also too short for me to fit in as I am 6'5" tall. Anyway the tarp and lightweight bivvy is better. Can I suggest that the ex surplus bivvies are too heavy and if you go that way then a 1kg tent would be better. I havew no choice as I can not afford a UL tent that is long enough and they are too heavy anyway.

IMHO get yourself a lighter bivvy such as the Rab SZ or the Alpkit hunka (also available in XL which is the same length as the Rab SZ). Or get yourself onto the Mountain Laurel Designs website and see what they can offer. American company and highly regarded. Probably more than you want to spend though but you want the best then might have to pay for it. Check out BPL-UK for their UL mini tarp thingy http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product157.asp?PageID=112 or for other stuff http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page112.asp

The 148g micro tarp covers your upper body and TBH that will make a big difference over using your bivvy on its own. I know from threads on another forum which the owner of BPL-UK posts on he has used the Rab survival zone (SZ) bivvy with their micro tarp for years. He puts the bivvy directly on the groung too. I have only done that once but tend to carry a free UL groundsheet I got from work (pallet bag cut up to as small a piece as would work for me). I would always use a lightweight bivvy with my tarp even though it can form tent like shelter. I use mine, because it is big, in a cave arrangement so it is only open on one side. This side can be lifted or lowered as the conditions dictate. You can even get dodgers for the front IF the weather was going to be so bad you needed a door.

http://www.granitegearstore.com/Dodger-P99C27.aspx

The last link is from their clearance page so I think they are stopping making them. These are crying out for peole tomake themselves. MYOG is a growing thing although not for me it might be a good way for you to get a tarp/bivvy kit that suits you. Perhaps make your own dodgers for a tarp pitched either as an a frame or a cave type. Like with everything to do with outdoors you have to get the right kit for what you want/intend to do. BPL-UK offer some good and cost effective solutions to shelter and other wildcamping things. I hope this helps. Personally I would stay away from a lot of surplus or ex issue kit not because it won't do the job but because it of the fact it will be made squaddie proof so will be heavier than the civilian designed and made stuff.

One more thing, with a larger tarp (say 2.4m long by say about 1.2m wide or bigger) you could get away with a sleeping bag cover. These are not waterproof but water resistant. They are designed to cope with dripping on down sleeping bags from snowholes and the like but not direct rain. They are a lot lighter too. They do cut out the wind which could get under the tarp. The Rab SZ is almost as light but IS waterproof and breathable (never got damp inside due to overcoming the breathability or leakage so far touch wood and dance around in a superstitious way). Have fun, tarp and bivvying on the ground is fun. PLanning my first ever winter camp in the Lakes to be a tarp and bivvy camp early next year. Thinking of doing it anyway, probably chicken out.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
RAPPLEBY2000 I have thin foam roll mat on the ground and my self inflating in the bivi as in very cold weather I find it a good combination. And as Ray said I also find having the roll mat in the bag stops me rolling off it in the night

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE