Whats The Best Bannock Recipe ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Thought I would try cooking a small Bannock on the Trangia mini, worked a treat!

Enough (Just) for 2 people really if eating with something else

3 Dessertspoons of Self Raising Flour
1 Dessertspoon of Milk Powder
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
A pinch of Baking Soda
Water to form into a dough

Cooked it on the non stick lid with the bowl upturned to make an "oven"

I'm really warming (see what I did there!!) to the Trangia…….

PaulIMG_1660.jpg

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Here is a Scottish bannock recipe claiming to be "traditional". http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...e_bannocks.htm
Tradition depends on everything from region and family recipe to available produce, and I don't believe there was ever such a thing as a traditional bannock. The bannock ranges from a simple oatcake to, at the luxury end of the scale, the Selkirk bannock, which is more of a fruit cake. http://www.rampantscotland.com/recip...pe_selkirk.htm

To strive for the reduction of labour is universally common in human experience, so I choose to benefit from the tasks our forebears performed on a daily basis. As such, my personal preference regarding bread-making is to make girdle scone, also known as soda scone or white scone.

To compensate for the lack of ingredients our forebears would have to hand, I often carry a plastic squeezy lemon juice with me... you know the thing I mean? Unless you're in the habit of carrying a carton of yoghurt, buttermilk or a tub of your great-granny's secret formula bread starter with you, then try hydrating milk powder to make a fluid cupful and give it half a dozen drops of lemon juice. I don't know what chemical reaction the lemon juice causes in the dough, but it makes a light bread of what might otherwise be a chewy mass you'd have to prise off your teeth.

• 2 mugfuls strong flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • pinch sugar
  • enough milk/lemon juice mix to make a stiff dough

• Mix with a spoon, but don't over-work.
  • Flatten into disc, but leave room to move in your frying pan.
  • A smear of oil, butter or marg in pan, and cook over medium heat.
  • Flip when one side is done.
  • DO NOT be tempted to pat the scone down!

That's a simple bread, great hot or cold with savoury foods, but can be adjusted for a sweeter tooth.

Last edited:

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Knifefan,

Here's one I made earlier...

1 cup flour to quarter cup powdered milk, good pinch of salt, tsp of baking powder.

I baked this in a tuna can placed inside a zebra billy (pictured) and used a few pebbles to keep the tuna can from touching the inside of the billycan. Turning the lid upside down made it an ideal receptical for embers effectively making a mini Dutch oven.

This was a test run, hence the bbq but it has since worked out in the trees on several occasions.

billycanbread.jpg

Bakwas

Apr 29, 2015
Surrey
I see paulnb57 has cooked one on a Trangia. Anyone else with experience and advice for cooking bannock on Trangia or even gas? I guess use a pot with a lid to create an oven and cook over a low heat?

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I see paulnb57 has cooked one on a Trangia. Anyone else with experience and advice for cooking bannock on Trangia or even gas? I guess use a pot with a lid to create an oven and cook over a low heat?

From what I can read at Swedsih forums you use 3 small pebbles to create some distance between the bigger and the smaller pot.

9666.jpg

Otherwise you appear to be spot on. A word of caution - I haven't tried it my self. I am going to some day.... I normally use this:
sport_product_new-490x340.jpg

(don't know what it is called in the anglo-saxon tounge)

Last edited:

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
In my case, cooking a mini bannock on the Trangia, I put the aluminium bowl over the fry pan on the mini trangia, because I felt I should, when it was probably cooked anyway......the biggest issue on a Trangia (and any other form of cookery) is heat control, so if using a Trangia I reckon the secret would probably be to keep turning the bannock over to stop it burning.......especially if it has sugar in the mix...... must try doing more and keep it quite thin, prob about 3/4 inch/20mm, so it cooks through before it burns.....

Paul

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
My favourite recipe is

1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup porridge oats
1/4 tsp baking powder
small handful raisins
1 tsp honey
water to mix

naefearjustbeer, do the porridge oats actually swell and cook through in that recipe ?

Wondering what the texture of the oats are like when cooked, do they look similar to boiled porridge oats within the bannock?

You can tell bread making is not my best subject :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE