Whats The Best Bannock Recipe ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
There are lots, but there must be one bannock base that fits the bill?? Also a lot of recipes state "Flour" is this Plain or Self raising? :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This is my take on it, simple enough and tasty too ...

Two cups S/R flour
One cup milk powder
Pinch of salt
Handful of raisins
Two tsp brown sugar
Honey to drizzle on top

All premixed in a ziploc bag ready to just add water and mix in the bag

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Sounds interesting guys, so obviously if you are using SR flour instead of the plain there's no need for baking powder? Also how would you cook this when out and about? May sound like a stupid question but I mean what would you cook it in?

Last question. How does one recipe get away with having egg powder and the other one not?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Rich, sounds good. I suppose u only need baking powder if u use plain flour.

Yeah I think SR is just plain with baking powder added to it, not sure of the ratio though

Sounds interesting guys, so obviously if you are using SR flour instead of the plain there's no need for baking powder? Also how would you cook this when out and about? May sound like a stupid question but I mean what would you cook it in?

Last question. How does one recipe get away with having egg powder and the other one not?

I've cooked it on double folded tin foil over embers but a frying pan works best as you can tilt it up to brown off the top too.

Not sure about the egg powder as it's not something we have in the house so I've never tried it if I'm honest. The milk powder seems to make it nice a fluffy so I expect the eggs do something similar.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I was discussing the making of Bannock with a far more experienced friend last year - his argument was: "if you're taking flour etc out with you, why bother with bannock when you can just take one of those dry bread kits instead"

AS always, his advice was superb. Weight is not an issue for me as i'm borne by canoe, so I take my dutch oven. get my evening meal sorted and then use the evening fire to prove and then cook a loaf of bread in it.

the dutch oven is merely a preference, you could do it many other ways...

the bannock you can obviously mix up and then cook immediately, but for the cost of half an hour or so proving time, you get proper bread.

Last edited:

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
I've actually never played with bannock very much. Can anyone explain why raisins are so common in the recipes?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i,ve played about with Bannock and heres my take on it.If you want a bready bannock then omit the sugar/honey and milk powder.If you fancy a cakey bannock then add sugar/honey,milk powder.
But for an even richer cakey bannock then add egg powder also if you want a maltier tasting cakey bannock then use brown sugar.
I prefer the cakey bannock,i add what ever takes my fancy,nuts,raisins,poppy seeds,lemon rind..........

Cakey Bannock.
nevis126640x480.jpg

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
You don't really need to cook it in anything... You can wrap the mix round a peeled hardwood stick and angle that over the fire, making sure you turn it regularly. Or you can make ash cakes, laying the straight on to the embers... ok it gets a bit burnt and ashy on the surface, but you just work round that. Make a fire, practice different ways, it all works out....

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
So many ideas now - I'm really impressed!!! I like the cakey type (big sweet tooth lol) also like ray mears idea of pouring whisky or rum over the finnished bannock MMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
my scouts came up with a good 1 last week. they desided to make a cornflake tart with a thin bannock base that the cooked on a piece of wood in the embers. was good but a little burnt.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i carry dried potato flakes as a base ingredient, (smash, well netto's version "Mr Mash")

i find adding this to the flour 30/70 ish,.make an interesting spin on bannock,...seems to give it more,....erm body?

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
We have these potato flatbreads available quite commonly, based on mash and flour, made either in oven on pan. One recipe below

1 bag (80g) mash flakes
3 dl water
2,5 dl bread flour
1 ts salt
2 tbs oil

Make the mash from flour+boiling water, let sit for a while, add rest of the ingredints and mix into batter, make little flat breads with your hands and fry in a dry pan on both sides untill pretty and golden brown. Taste best freshly made.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
"The Middle of Nowhere" extends all across Canada. Not much to forage for if you want a sweet treat, 60 miles from the nearest road. Raisins are convenient.
Native bannock was AP flour, "Magic" brand baking powder, salt and water (raisins if we got lucky.)
If the frying pan was in use for other food, make a fat rope of bannock dough, wrap on a stick and bake at the edge of the fire.
By July, there would be Saskatoons (aka Service berries), wild strawberries and several kinds of blueberries. Eat them = too soft to use in bannock dough.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
I have never made bannock - will have to give it a go one day soon seems like one of those initiation rights... :)

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I've never made bannock. I think I've been a bit put off by the inclusion of raisins, sugar and/or honey (I'm diabetic so I tend to avoid these sugary/sweet ingredients). Obviously I could easily just change the recipe but I was wondering if there is a traditional non-sweet recipe ???

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The real deal is just to "do it." Mess with some AP flour, baking powder, salt and water.
Who the HELLO cares if you burn some in the learning process?
Where does it say that you have to reveal all the upscrews?
You butcher the job, burn the mess = what to try next?

I learned to make bread that way = the hard way. Wasted some bunch of flour in the process.
BUT, gimme a big bowl and a stick, I can bring it off, 100% of the time.

I know that this sounds like a rant but you have to jump in, fool with bread dough to figure out a formula
that you can bring off, all the time. $10/20BPS fine for whining.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
What sort of consistency do you mix to? bread dough or sticky, I think i'll make one tonight it's been a few years since I made/had one.

Dave

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
This morning i made a great test loaf from what i had in the kitchen

400g of strong wholemeal flour
100g milk powder
1tspn baking soda
1tblspn of granulated sugar
1 egg
approx 100ml water
approx 100ml milk
pinch salt
3 very ripe bananas

method

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl except the bananas, you're looking more for a batter like mix rather than a solid dough which is why the liquid measures are approximates as i was adding and mixing, once consistency was achieved i mashed the 3 bananas into a slurry and then mixed them into the batter, preheat oven to 180c grease/oil a loaf tin and pour in batter and bake for 45 mins, this has made a perfect loaf i'll take pics soon and load them up, if i was in the field i'd cook it in smaller batches in a double layered foil ball buried in the hot embers, i think if you added more liquid it would also work great as a pancake type of thing in a frying pan

13566-1431179027-0561d72e9387aca703466cd0ab786b59.jpg

13567-1431179034-ef45a9d1a906dd83c22bd8e457bb234e.jpg

The bananas could have been easily replaced with any dried fruits or nuts or even fresh fruit pieces and if a savory loaf was wanted just leave out the sugar and add savoury items to the batter like say grated cheese n bacon bits. This was my first attempt at something like this, if i had more ingredients in the house right now i'd try making a few different versions as it is really tasty

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE