Whats in your lifejacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
As there has been a few threads recently on the subject of canoes being used in conjunction with us guys getting our bushcraft fix I am curious to see if anyone else carries extra stuff on / in their pfd . Or is it just me being over prepared :eek:
P5150519.jpg

Small led torch
Rescue knife
Emergency whistle
First aid kit

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I dont remember Burt Reynolds having most of that?

Youre missing the Compound Bow with fishing set-up and wetsuit tank-top.

In all seriousness , good set up , can't think of much else you may want to take? Small hi power strobe??

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got nothing on mine yet but I don't have all the pockets either on my Yak like those Rangers have. I do like them though so I might have to treat myself one day.

I do have a little neck knife on me and usually a whistle though.

Dave_the_Pilgrim

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2009
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
Nothing wrong with your setup for wild waters but the knife might get you into trouble in more populated locations.

At sea or in remote waters I carry a strobe, mirror and flare kit as well as wear my camelbak and wear a dry or semi-dry suit if the temperatues are chilly. On English waters I often don't even wear a PFD if they are not wildwater. Especially in summer.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a level 4 coach I always wear my PFD and it contains...spare nicotine gum, a folding knife with fire steel, a fixed blade rescue knife, whistle, lengths of cord for easy deep water rescues, some snacks and a bit of warm wear - hat and gloves, notebook, pen, crabs and slings, van keys.
I designed and made my own PFD that even when loaded (it can take more!) it exceeds the bouyancy needed to get EU rating.

I don't wear one....:nana:
I wear a paramis RAIDER manual gas life jacket. It has a knife on the belt at the back, strobe and nothing else on it.

PFD's are pretty crap in keeping anyone afloat if they're big and it gives me security when your paddling in winter often in the sea or on big open water. And they are far better to paddle in than a pfd. (not to mention the extra bouyancy one gets while trying to get into a canoe or kayak.)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I always wear my PFD regardless of where I'm paddling. The pockets carry...

A small head torch.
A Benchmade rescue knife.
A whistle.
A small first aid kit.
A healthy chew bar or two.
And a notebook/pencil.
A small fire making kit.
And the water bladder pouch on the back usually contains a lightweight spare sun hat and mosi net..

The explorer on the right belongs to a friend who carries much the same, but with two knives!

I've tried MagiKelly's gas life jacket and it is very comfy, but I don't find my PFD's to be particularly uncomfortable or lacking in buoyancy and prefer the simplicity of a PFD.

delta.jpg

Although it is handy to know that all this stuff is to hand if your canoe is chopped in half and you manage to make it to shore afterwards, all these pockets can get in the way when your trying to pull yourself back aboard especially if your a little exhausted from descending a particularly wild bit of water.

(my Woodlore 'smokes phone knife' is a drawer queen and is never used)

:D

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I all these pockets can get in the way when your trying to pull yourself back aboard especially if your a little exhausted from descending a particularly wild bit of water.

The PFD I designed has the pockets set slightly wide so that, even with my gut pushing forward, the pockets are out of the way, avoiding pocket/gunnel conflict!:eek:

If I swim a bit of wild water I let my buddies take the strain by giving them the chance to practice their rescue techniques.......:rolleyes:
Self rescue is a skill that should rarely be needed as a safe paddler should have someone there to assist them - or be close to the bank for a quick empty out and bank re-entry!:D
photos of my PFD
BAfront-1.jpg

BAback-1.jpg

It has side and shoulder adjusters, side opening pocket - lower back, top opening pocket - upper back, top right pocket for whistle, top left attachment point for strobe, twin zipped front pockets, twin zipped lower "box" pockets, nappy straps, waist strap, mesh lining and mesh pannels in all the pockets.
Comfortable, freedom of movement, LOADS of buoyancy and does not get in the way during rescues - but no CE stamp....

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Nothing wrong with your setup for wild waters but the knife might get you into trouble in more populated locations.

At sea or in remote waters I carry a strobe, mirror and flare kit as well as wear my camelbak and wear a dry or semi-dry suit if the temperatues are chilly. On English waters I often don't even wear a PFD if they are not wildwater. Especially in summer.

Dave

No PFD? well, hope your lucky, every time, all the time, because it only takes on bit of bad luck for you to end up cold stone dead on a mortuary slab.

Pessimist? no, just spent alot of time as a student in an accident department that was near a 'nice safe river'.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...but the knife might get you into trouble in more populated locations...

I have often wondered about this, has anyone had their collar felt for having a rescue knife on their PFD? When paddling in the UK I've always presumed that this would fall under 'having a good reason' but I'd be curious to know if anyone has had any bother.

"No PFD? well, hope your lucky, every time, all the time..."

Many people choose not to wear one and hopefully that is an informed choice, I always wear mine and will not take to the water with others who aren't wearing one.

-----

That is a great bit of kit John, you should go into production, get Ray to wear one on TV and you'll be quids in :D

PFD's are pretty crap

Woooah put the brakes on fella , Just asking if you carried any extra gear when paddling :confused:

What I said was, "PFD's are pretty crap in keeping anyone afloat if they're big". And as a big chap...I offered an alternative and what I carried on it Which was a knife and a strobe on the back .:rolleyes:

As for phone, well it's waterproof and in my pocket along with my waterproof lighter. I have a grab bag with anything else which is red and will float with flares, blizzard bag etc in it.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I had the brainwave of storing a few "wetfire" tablets in my Delta PFD (scenario = dumped in cold water, lost all gear, very cold, need to get fire going etc). Unfortunately, the mice in my shed loved the taste of the tablets and can smell them even through their foil wrapping, and ate the tablets and my PFD. Tip : don't try this !

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
I have often wondered about this, has anyone had their collar felt for having a rescue knife on their PFD? When paddling in the UK I've always presumed that this would fall under 'having a good reason' but I'd be curious to know if anyone has had any bother.

Certainly does fall under 'having a good reason', especially if it is a 'sensible' blade and not some 12 inch monster bowie knife.

No magistrate in the land would have an issue with carrying - my mother in law certainly agrees and she is a J.P of 18+ years practise.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Many people choose not to wear one and hopefully that is an informed choice, I always wear mine and will not take to the water with others who aren't wearing one.

-----

That is a great bit of kit John, you should go into production, get Ray to wear one on TV and you'll be quids in :D

My attitude exactly!

I thank you for the kind comments but unfortunately when I tried to get the design into production I was told that I would have to produce X number of them for "testing to destruction" and consisantcy of quality to get a CE aproval stamp. I do not have the dosh or machinery for that so I am stuck!
The outer fabric was originally a Decoy bag and the Mesh a Ghilly suit......:cool:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
A bouyancy aid is not meant to make you float, it's meant to aid your bouyancy. Hence the name. They are intended to allow easy movement and enable swimming. They are suited to activities where you may be in the water on repreated occasions.

A life-jacket is an emergency device, it has a buoyancy distribution sufficient to turn the user to a position where their mouth is clear of the water, even when they are unconscious. Swimming in an inflated life-jacket is harder than in a bouyancy aid, as the jacket is designed to float you on your back. Also once inflated a life jacket has to be deflated and re-packed before it can be used again and is therefore not suited to an occasion where there is a possibility of repeated "swims".

IMHO they are designed for different purposes and are generally not interchangeable depending on personal preference.

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE