What would Oetzi do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Here's a bit of fun I thought up to celebrate Oetzi's 20th

If Oetzi were to walk into a modern outdoor emporium, which five items do you think he would he trade for?

For instance would he trade his copper axe for a Gransfors Bruks?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I think a cigarette lighter would be the most miraculous thing, fire on demand any time. Second a good torch, light on demand any time. Third hmmmmm I have often thought that saws would be much admired, very light but incredible what they can do.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
would he realy know what to do with our modern clothing and gadgets he would grab a couple of knives and axes , that way he could hunt for what he wanted
and set about making whatever he needed .

Craig..................

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If the theories about his tattoos are to be believed, then maybe a bucketfull of painkillers ( or some corrective surgery) would be high on his list!

I'm not convinved that he'd trade his footwear, as according to some, an Austrian firm bought the pattern and were selling replicas for a while (and doing quite well I'm led to believe).

I reckon he was quite comfortable with his normal clothing, but a rain cape or poncho would be a bonus, his grass cape would have had its limitations, but it must have been sufficiently effective to warrant it being taken on his final journey, over a skin or hide based garment.

I also think that the trouble with modern hunting tools is that you often need to purchase further things like ammunition to keep the tool performing, perhaps a fibre-glass bow, capable of shooting arrows that could be made on the trail, would be of greater benefit.

But, would the modern world allow him to carry on living his existence undisturbed or would he become a victim of 21st century curiosity.

ATB

Ogri the trog

i think he would of been very impressed with metal pots, cigarette lighters,torches, steel knives all the sorts of things that most first nation/indiginous(sp?) peoples are struck with when they interact with a more ''civilised'' people.

then he would of got hooked on whiskey and be turned into a curiosity (cynical but probably true :()

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I think he'd start up a web site after seeing how popular BBUK is and possibly put Mr. Mears and Mr. Grylls out of buisiness.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think he'd be quite impressed with steel tools and as said a lighter would definitely be high on the list.

Metal pots/containers would also be highly regarded - ie a pot you can use on a fire to cook in = winning.

Water storage?

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
maybe a horse? would allow him to carry much more, travel much longer (but still navigate the terrain he would on foot) and have a companion. This is all assuming he didn't eat it first ;)

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Alvin Toffler advanced the theory that the impact of the new on the person who had had no contact with modernity in his "Future Shock", 1970, would be almost more than they could bear but I always thought he was wrong. People can adapt almost instantly, as would Oetzi. Toffler refers to the Indian (North American, his usage) looking bereft into a store window and claimed that it was because the futuristic goods shown were outside his ken.

This was rubbish, the window shopper was not equipped by his economic position to take advantage of the goods on show and probably suffered various other sorts of discrimination. After all a totally unequipped baby can be a fully modern "electronic" citizen in, what?, three years.

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Alvin Toffler advanced the theory that the impact of the new on the person who had had no contact with modernity in his "Future Shock", 1970, would be almost more than they could bear but I always thought he was wrong. People can adapt almost instantly, as would Oetzi. Toffler refers to the Indian (North American, his usage) looking bereft into a store window and claimed that it was because the futuristic goods shown were outside his ken.

This was rubbish, the window shopper was not equipped by his economic position to take advantage of the goods on show and probably suffered various other sorts of discrimination. After all a totally unequipped baby can be a fully modern "electronic" citizen in, what?, three years.

Less. There's a youtube video of a one year old swiping pictures on a magazine because she understands how an ipad works but not how a magazine works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE