What tool??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emma S

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
we need to make a large number of small (1-11/2 inch diameter) chestnut short stakes to put either side of a low marker fence at the edge of a footpath.

what would be the best tool for the job? Billhook? small axe???? something else???

(you can tell I am new at this, cant you??)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'd suggest that if you're unfamiliar with tools to the extant that you need to ask that question then maybe a saw would the best tool for the job, it's the safest option you see. billhook/small axe + no idea how to use them + small workpiece = a trip to casualty with your fingers in a bucket of ice, saw + decent leather gloves = safe as houses. have fun :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Laplander saw. No fuss, no bother and safe too :)
If you're confident with it though, a small axe and a decent stump to cut the tips to a point to go more easily into the ground.
Billhooks are brilliant tools; in experienced hands.

cheers,
Toddy

Emma S

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
When you say large number, how many and of what length?

probably about a foot to 18 inches long, possibly about 100 of them. I HAVE a laplander saw, though may be able to persuade other half to chainsaw en mass to the right size and then use a small something and a good stump for pointing slightly.....

We have built these 'habitat' walls along the edges of all the footpaths - they are constructed from fallen logs and branches, many are rotting and some are covered in moss, but we need to fix them so they stay in place as they are kind of piled precariously and they will wander off if not fixed down.

Im certainly not an experienced hand when it comes to a billhook, though we have some on order and I will be getting some instruction.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your habitat walls sounds like such a good idea :D

I wonder how feasible it'd be to do a kind of mini coppice with it though ? Willow cuttings root easily (too easily sometimes :eek:) and they're flexible and can be interwoven easily. They'd take a lot of pruning to keep low though.

atb,
Toddy

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
the laplander ill be no good if your are cutting with the grain of the wood.... i'd go for a billhook or a hachet, even better still would be a spar hook that we use for hurdle making and other coppice work

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I'm going to echo the above points.

Both are excellent tools in the right hands. Though a Laplander saw is definitely a safer option.

All the best
andy

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
being from sussex emma sweet chestnut would be a really good choice and will last along time. like i said speak to a coppice worker and get 8' lengths and then you want one "flat" cut and then one more to put a point on it. if you need help finding a coppicer local to you PM me and i'll be glad to help :)

Emma S

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
we have alot of hazel we have already coppiced, so that may be an option. I just wasnt too sure about the longivity of hazel compared to chestnut? I will have a look at spa hooks and see if its something I think I might be able to get a grip on. Thanks for all the advice.

now, talking about hurdles...... Im looking for some split chestnut ones....off to a different part of the forum I think!!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A pair of loppers that can cope with width of the wood would be the safest option.
A decent long handled pair should do up to about 2 inches, if don't fancy using striking tools, and quicker than sawing, especially for small diameter stuff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE