What to wear in your sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I know this has been discussed in the past, but couldn't remember if we came to any conclusions!

So - is it warmer to sleep in the nude/baselayer, or fully clothed?

My own experience is the former, although it may depend on the bag itself. I think it has to do with trapping, or not, the moisture the body produces overnight. If the moisture is trapped inside a layer of clothes, it'll cool. If it can escape, body heat should drive it through the sleeping bag insulation to the outside. In my own bags, in seriously sub-zero temps, I often wake with frost on the outside of the bag, but completely dry inside. In fact I'll also put damp socks etc inside the bag to dry them out. I believe there is also a "drape" factor - if the lining of the bag is touching the skin, transmission of water vapour occurs more readily. Logically, it seems to me that the more layers you wear, the more opportunity there is for the water vapour you give off liquefying into water inside the bag or your clothes.

However, I am aware that many take a completely opposite approach, and in fact some systems - including some military ones - depend on the user getting into the bag fully-clothed. So what are your own personal findings?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im a nudey. So comfy in the Wiggys though eh? ;) Like sleeping between satin sheets. Ill never buy a mummy bag again.

Honest Outrage

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2015
Midlands
I'll usually wear a thin pair of sleeping trousers and t-shirt inside my bag. If i'm not using my clothes as a pillow, they usually go in the bottom of the bag, to get a bit of warmth for the next morning.

I prefer not waking up already wearing the clothes i'm going to be wearing for the day. Putting day clothes on, that haven't been worn through the night, makes me feel the warmth of them when i climb out of the pit!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'm of the wear clothes inside camp. My reasoning being that if I'm carrying insulating layers with me, why not use them at night and bring a lighter sleeping bag. They don't serve much purpose inside your rucksack... So usually for me its a softie jacket, with base layer underneath, and just normal trousers, socks. If my clothes are wet, then if possible I will take them off first/change into dry clothes.

I haven't really thought about the water vapour theory, but I would imagine that there is a danger that loft in both the clothing and sleeping bag could be compressed if things were taken to the extreme....

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
summer i wear 140gsm merino boxers and base layer t shirt, winter i wear merino 260gsm long john pants and 320gsm merino long sleeve top and a merino sealskinz beanie hat and merino socks n gloves, basically i wear merino wool would have been my simpler answer :eek:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Like Andy says depends on the bag. I know he has a wiggys, and i reckon most would sleep nude in em.

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
Boxers or shorts for me. Sleeping skin to bag makes best use of the bags insulation / warmth capabilities. Unless it's so cold that by getting out of your clothes your going to lose all your body heat prior to getting into your bag.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I wear a separate pair of clothing (shirt & combats + socks) thats kept in the sleeping bag and only used for sleeping in. I'm a bag fan of the old wet / dry routine, there's nothing better than getting a warm dry sleep.

Tonyuk

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Have now stopped looking for second hand Wiggys bags :p

:)

Two responses to that;

1. No-one with a Wiggys bag is likely ever to want to sell it. Why would you? If it loses a bit of loft after 20 years, send it back to Wiggys and get a new replacement! Try doing that with your Snugpack or Carinthia........
2. If a madman did sell one, only got to pop it in washing machine and its like new again!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Horses for courses ~ sometimes clothed, sometimes less clothed. A foot in both camps ;) .

I generally need to remove my socks as generic wear moisture leaves me feeling clammy and and uncomfortable ~ I do dry my socks off over night though; but I generally bring them up to my core to do so.

Late Spring through to early Autumn I generally use a opened sleeping bag as a duvet, on a blanket wraped around a mat, and in a gore-tex bivvy. Year round I'll augment the temerature rating of the bag I use with softies :D

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Sleeping skin to bag makes best use of the bags insulation / warmth capabilities.

That's often quoted, but I fail to understand how that could be scientifically correct. I view it as insulation + more insulation = most insulation (unless the clothes are so bulky that the sleeping bags loft is reduced). Wearing (dry) clothes inside a tent will make you warmer than being naked inside a tent - it must be the same principle inside a sleeping bag as far as i can see at least.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE