What to use Sheep fleece for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have got a Ryland Sheep fleece. I intend to extract the Lanolin from it for waterproofing wool items. But the question is what shall I do with the fleece? I can get hold of loads more of these, this is just the first one....

Been thinking of making a spinning wheel, but wonder if any other ideas!

tedmagnum

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2006
Wirral
Motorcycle or car seat covers. They relieve the strain on long journeys.

I always have one on my longer bike trips.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have got a Ryland Sheep fleece. I intend to extract the Lanolin from it for waterproofing wool items. But the question is what shall I do with the fleece? I can get hold of loads more of these, this is just the first one....

Been thinking of making a spinning wheel, but wonder if any other ideas!

I want it! I spin and it's our local sheep here in Hereford. Been wanting to spin some for years but not got hold of any. I'll PM you :). BTW, I knit socks for hiking if anyone wants some ... swapsies ???

Queen Elizabeth I so loved the stockings made for her out of this wool she apparently refused to have any others :cool:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You could make a simple drop spindle to try spinning a little. Felting would be something else worth trying.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Ryeland wool is very resistant to felting, I know that for certain as I boiled some for two hours and it did not felt!

Elen, you have a PM!

Nov 4, 2012
radnorshire
hi every one ,

pleased to meet you ,

another wool mad spinner here , good luck with the felting , any spare wool felted makes wonderfull innersoles for your walking boots .

spinning with a drop spindle is a great place to start , wheels are expensive and I hate to say dificult to make one that spinns well unless you understand the principles of spinning . you can often pick up a good second hand one , but get a spinner to try it out for you first , if you get a bad wheel it is enough to put you off , which is a shame .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE