what to put on my spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Olive oil is good and usually handy, I've used walnut oil too but only because I happened to have some.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I submerse the entire spoon for quarter of an hour and leave to drip dry. I got the best results that way rather than dabbing or wiping.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
cool i was going to leave it for a hour ;)

I've found that you can soak them too much. Depends on the wood of course, but fifteen minutes to half an hour works best for me. Might need a wipe down a week or so later with the oil, but that is rare.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
Ikea sell a mineral oil to use on chopping boards that doesn't go rancid, it costs a couple of quid a bottle and so far I've used it on 4 wooden chopping boards, one of which is about 2 foot square, and to regularly recover the wooden handle of my homemade knife. I've so far used nearly half a bottle and if you want it to cover your spoons it'll probably last nearly forever.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Excellant article Robin, thanks for that. I thought boiled linseed oil was best for food stuffs. Now I know better. I'd got it bassackwards.

I read an article years ago that mineral oil was used on leather strops for best edge on straight razors. I have the strop and the razors but no mineral oil, now I know where to get some, Thanks Norton. Just need to find an Ikea in France now.

Good luck with the spoons Lab72

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Excellant article Robin, thanks for that. I thought boiled linseed oil was best for food stuffs. Now I know better. I'd got it bassackwards.

I read an article years ago that mineral oil was used on leather strops for best edge on straight razors. I have the strop and the razors but no mineral oil, now I know where to get some, Thanks Norton. Just need to find an Ikea in France now.

Good luck with the spoons Lab72

Mineral oil is sold in chemists in the UK as "liquid paraffin" or "paraffin oil" this is the liquid version of paraffin wax ie candles and quite different from paraffin/kerosene. If you ask for 5l they may tell you not to use it all at once as it is mainly sold as a laxative. I used to make dubbin made with beeswax and liquid paraffin melted together to give a soft paste

Biker

Mineral oil is sold in chemists in the UK as "liquid paraffin" or "paraffin oil" this is the liquid version of paraffin wax ie candles and quite different from paraffin/kerosene. If you ask for 5l they may tell you not to use it all at once as it is mainly sold as a laxative. I used to make dubbin made with beeswax and liquid paraffin melted together to give a soft paste

Thanks Robin. I've just copied and pasted that "recipe" and saved it for future reference. I've got a 1lb block of beeswax in a drawer in my workshop, got it from my grandfather 25 years ago. Never knew what to do with it, dubbin for leather sounds like a great idea. I'm in the UK in 3 weeks time so a visit to chemistery is in order methinks. Thanks.

Lab72 y'know those spoons look pretty damned good. My first one was sacrificed to the gods as a burnt offering hoping they'd bless me with some skills in the area... Judging from my second attempt my prayer was ignored. The Gods are so fickle :togo:

Your ones look very good. Well (expletive) done!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE