What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I might have a week off in February if the work approves it so what could I get up to?

Want to climb a few Munroe's this year Ben Lomond the only one done so far but I think it might be a bit snowy for a novice at this time of year and same reason for ditching a motor bike/camp trip I failed to do last year.

So maybe:
Some lower level hill walks
A few days fishing
A few days wild camping
Give the west highland way a go, been wanting to do that for ages, again weather might be a bit rough tho
Climbing/abseiling course, done an abseil years back and been meaning to do it again

Any suggestions?

Mancalleddave

Jul 4, 2011
Bridgend, Glamorgan
I might have a week off in February if the work approves it so what could I get up to?

So maybe:
Some lower level hill walks
A few days fishing
A few days wild camping
Give the west highland way a go, been wanting to do that for ages, again weather might be a bit rough tho
Climbing/abseiling course, done an abseil years back and been meaning to do it again

Any suggestions?

Woah, you do alot for a week.
Why don't you get the boat out to the shetlands and try wild camping there?

Jackdaw

Although I work as an ecologist, I just love the history our landscape has. Hadrian's Wall in winter has a bit of everything. Cold and windy for those requiring a 'hard' walk, lots of history to keep you interested as you go along (take a guide book) and plenty of space for wild camping along the way. If you walk the whole length in a leisurely manner, it should take about a week but you can pick and choose your start and finish points. There are also plenty of youth hostels or B+Bs along the way to break up the camping if needed.

Jack

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
canoe the caledonian canal

Really fancied the Spey 2 years back when I done a bit of canoeing but since then moved house and had to sell the canoe :( or that could have been a shout albeit wouldn't fancy a dip in there this time of year. Looks like a good adventure just watched this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WBPpIrXTWs&feature=player_embedded

That'll be one to do when I get a canoe again

How about Hadrian's Wall. Nice walk when it's frosty.

Sounds good going to have a wee look into that one.

cheers for the ideas

Stuart

Last edited:

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
rent a canoe and do it anyway

Think I'll save the Spey for the summer, if we get one this year.

Weeks holiday now confirmed :) think I'll try and give the 15 or less challenge a go. Looks as if it could be a good learning experience and may also inspire to leave the sink at home.

Was really hoping to do a lot more walking this year (with my new Berghaus explorer ridge boots) but my groin keeps seizing up going down hill, 5 mile walk last weekend and ended up limping about on the way back, bloody annoying :(

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
15 or less along the Hadrians Wall path?? Did the wall in good weather in 4 days I think. Missed the first and last days as not really interested in walking through a town or along a tidal estuary. Still did all the best bits including diversions off route to see some "interesting" carvings (graffiti, mostly of a coarse nature like Romans do a lot of, coarse buggers the Romans apparently).

You could camp next to THE tree at the start of the godawful robin hood prince of theives!!

You might find the spey a bit too low in places in the summer, last time i did it it was a scraper in some places and that was a september / october. Although there are plenty of deep and flat sections that i expect would be fine year round.

Good luck with your week anyway!

Think I'll save the Spey for the summer, if we get one this year.

Weeks holiday now confirmed :) think I'll try and give the 15 or less challenge a go. Looks as if it could be a good learning experience and may also inspire to leave the sink at home.

Was really hoping to do a lot more walking this year (with my new Berghaus explorer ridge boots) but my groin keeps seizing up going down hill, 5 mile walk last weekend and ended up limping about on the way back, bloody annoying :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE