What to do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Sort of a grumpy young Rant with a question.

The other weekend Paul Craig and I went out camping at Lenabo my local spot(10 miles being local).Now this was Paul's second itime and last time he was ok so i thought there would be no problems. We split into 2 Craig and I with our Lean To and him with his tent,Craig and I had the long log firlay keeping us warm .Paul said he wouldnt need a fire as he had his tent we tried to tell him otherwise but he knew best .

Anyway,time went on and Paul ealised we were right and constructed his version of a fire in front of his tent,disregarding advice on which sort of fire to use or how to manage it etc.
He started adding more and more after we both told him enough to building a Bon fire the flames were my height 5'9 the base of the fire was 1,5x1,5!!!!(roughly).I confiscated his wood and told him that it was to far ofcourse he just thought it was funny. Bear in mid we were surrounded by all pine some dead. So 1hr later him and craig set of and i look round to seem them construcitng there own fire a smaller one 10 meters away, i went to ask what they were doing when craig shouted in a hunourus tone "RUN"
BOOM
They had chucked a deodrant can in it. Causing a big fire ball, then when the flames went down to a small pile.
Paul ran up and kicked it scattering them everywere???!!!!!
I put out all he embers pured water on his fire and set up my own camp with my tarp 15 meters away.

They just have no bloody respect.

And paul says next time he plans to bring 6 cans and band them together and chuck it in.
I "Just " have the trust of the people who own this and the local farmers.

The main point-Do i now on go on my own?(risk being called sad etc)
Or amputate them?
Seriously advice is needed here help!

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
They just have no bloody respect.

Thats probably not my choice of words more like They are ******* dangerous!!! If it were me i would cut them loose and head out on my own or even better network for other serious bushcrafters to go out with. I dont see this as being sad just you would be a lot sadder when someone gets hurt or the area you are staying burns down due to badly set fires. It shows maturity to detach yourself from this type of idiotic behaviour. This is just my opinion.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
'go on your own' and 'amputate them' sound like the same thing to me. if being called sad really worries you, then go with them and torch a couple of acres of woodland
if the chav-tale you've told us really bothers you(as i think it must do), then you've already got the answer
drop the dead weight and get out and enjoy yourself!!

B

bushyboo

If they are going to act irresponsibly i would drop them mate .Go yourself or find someone else that wont act like an idiot

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Dump them. You don't want to be associated with people who behave like that.
Morons behaving like that are the type of people who get us banned from woodlands.
You're better off without them.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Tell me where they live and i will go and amputate some very important parts of them.

Stuff like this happens round my way in my local woods, and more often than not i get the blame for it, i deal with it in my own way.

Prime example, three teenagers set fire to an old oak tree when my mum was walking the our dogs, probably been there for 300 years, had to be cut down.

I went and found them (lets say they won't we setting fire to things anymore).

Ditch the dirt and enjoy the woods on your own.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Classic case of not having any concept of being responsible for the consequences of their own actions.

I see waaaaay too much of this, even out here in the Hinterlands. I live next to a State stocked trout stream. So many of the great "sportsmen" and "fishermen" wandering through are a curse on the outdoors! And then they stop and ask if they can drive a half dozen mud covered vehicles down into the pasture to "camp" next to the stream. They are politely told no. About about half get upset that I won't let them "play" out on all this land that "belongs to everybody, or should". But they don't have to clean up the mess they leave!

From what you have described, my advice is to divest yourself of these "friends" - before they cause problems that you will be blamed for. It is their loss, not yours. I suspect that their behavior also crosses over into the regular world. Such people are not worth the abuse of your friendship. Yes, you will be called many names, and be shunned by those people. But the opinions and standards that really matter are your own, and are worth far more than "fitting in" with a couple of people who seem addicted to the show Jack-*ss.

Who knows? They just might learn the lesson when you leave.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - out in the Hinterlands - where the jerks still wander through

p.s. Yes, I have "been there - done that". I have distanced myself from several former camping buddies - because of their attitudes and methods. Yes, I was called many black names, and had dark "stories" circulated about me. I lived and moved on - with a much better state of mind. Some of those people have "grown up" since then. The rest never will - until a major injury or destructive episode results from their behavior. I chose to stick with my standards, and I sleep better at night doing so. And so will you.

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
even aside from the fact if you do want to be asociated with people like that.

would YOU seriously dare to sleep with someone that likes to make bombs near you?

trust me, the only way id sleep is with guys like that bound and gagged at the nearest anthill

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
I agree totally, i wouldn't feel safe sleeping anywhere near those guys. Total idiots!!! It's people like that that make it unsafe (and undesirable) for the rest of us to go into the woods!!!!

Where abouts do you live? You could maybe go to one of your local BCUK meets and meet some people who have brains!!! Then maybe you could go into the woods with those guys and really enjoy yourself without worry. (maybe even learn a few things).

Tell the idiots that the farmer/land owner will no longer let you camp there because of the mess they made. Scrape 'em off!!!

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
In the woods everyone can hear you scream! but the'll just assume it's a fox ;)
Ditch em and find some local bushcrafters, it would just put me off doing this sort of thing if i had to spend my time camping with such buffoons.
Add your location in your c.p and somebody will contact you without a doubt;)

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Bloody hell, they sound like a night mare.
They are not bushcrafters just part time brainless campers.

Get yer details up lad, you will get bushcrafters in your area, people you could trust and have a fun time with.

As for the idiots you spoke of, cut their feet off, wont be able to chav camp again.
Good luck

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
No hesitation, ditch 'em.

Aside from them being idiots there is pleasure in adventuring on your own, being self-reliant and taking pride in your skills and your ability to leave no trace.

Scoops

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lodian,

The conclusion is clear. With the lack of access to serious bushcrafters for woodland, you could do yourself a big favour here. A couple of more mature freinds (not necessarily older) could be made through here. You might be able to laarn stuff from them in exchange for allowing them to accompany you where you have permission to use the land. Worst case you could make friends with some new people who you wouldn't meet any other way. Don't invite them to be regular companions - have them over once, see if you like them and their style before committing to more than that. Try to buddy up with someone you can learn from - someone who knows more about plant lore, woodcraft, shelter building whatever than you do - hopefully you can teach them something in return.

I'm lucky to have spent a bit of time with the likes of Jon Pickett and Bushwacker Bob plus others who are not regular contributors here. I have learned lots form people whose experience and knowledge is different from mine

Red

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I think you’ve only one option mate and that is cut them loose, it will be hard for you to ditch your mates, and they may well call you "sad" but anyone who does that isn't really a true friend, you sound very responsible, do you really want to be associated with idiots like these, not only will they get you a bad reputation, if they succeed in burning down the woods or even injuring or killing somebody with there reckless behaviour, they may well land you will a criminal record as well. listen to the good advice others have given you, try and find somebody to go with who has the same respect and love for bushcraft, you will have a more enjoyable time and will be able to sleep with both eyes closed. good luck

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You seem like a sensable lad who has a genuiune interest in Bushcraft and the correct way to practise it, ditch them, you wont regret it, it dosen't meen you will loose a friendship, just dont camp with them. Going out on your own has its benefits.
Dont let them put you off and if you do fall out with them, dont let them put you down because they wont be true friends and not worth knowing.

Simon.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
And paul says next time he plans to bring 6 cans and band them together and chuck it in.
The main point-Do i now on go on my own?(risk being called sad etc)
Or amputate them?
Seriously advice is needed here help!

You have no worries. They will amputate themselves. Leave them to it.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Just go without them if you saw my posts a while back i had the same prob camping with people who had no respect,best to go without mate :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I find it easier to LNT by myself, and solitude lets you tune into your surroundings quicker aslong as you don't let it freak you out, drifting from the topic a little but it really makes sense all in all. If they are good friends you've known for years then you should be able to lay down the law with them, it's hard for sure, had to do it myself and after the awkward few days you'll know what to do :present: or :sulkoff:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE