What to do with wool blanket?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Hi, I got a 100% wool blanket the other day, it's large (nearly double as some ahs been trimmed off the side) and made in England by 'Moderna pennine'. Atm it's yellow.. and a bit garish but thick and worth keeping. I wouldn't say it's the softest blanket but it's usable and I would like to make something from it.

Any suggestions?

I thought maybe use it as an under blanket to sleep on if I fancied a night under the stars (raining clouds more like) and line it with a light weight fleece blanket I also have so I can sleep on it directly without getting itchy and wrap it arouind me without worrying about embers or anything.

I don't have the tailoring skills to make a complex over coat or anything.. but I'm open to ideas. :)

Thanks for reading and i can take a picture if anyone thinks it'll help!

cheers :p

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
you reckon? hmm.. what goes on the inside? softer insulating stuff? like a fabric sleeping bag?

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Make it a removable sleeping bag fill with waterproof outer layer. Make it a simple removable jacket liner or two by trimmin it and sewing a couple of buttons. Make it a bottom sheet for a bed as Finns used to do in previous times.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Do you have pets? Wool blankets are nice in cat/dog baskets. Outdoors blankets are heavy and a bugger when wet.

yeah I have a dog, but he has his own sleeping bag!

I asked around in the charity shops fairly often to see if they have any 100% wool blankets and most of the time they don't have any labels on, this one does so that's why i bought it. And it was only a £1 :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE