What to do with my Grandads old tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
Bit of a random question but having finally cleared out our grandparents house I have a number of old hand tools of my grandads that I don't know what to do with. Some of them I can use (and still do) but some are well beyond my skills and I can't see a time when I will have the time to use them.

Principally there are some really narrow planes (I guess for planing out grooves / channels) and a large jack plane (it must be 18" - 2ft long and 4" square). I don't want to throw them away as they would be good tools in the right hands but I've no idea how to pass them on. Does anyone know of any groups that might be intersted in them? I'm in the Sheffield area if that helps.

Thanks,

Craig.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I don't want to throw them away as they would be good tools in the right hands but I've no idea how to pass them on. Does anyone know of any groups that might be intersted in them?

What ever you do don't throw them away as you'll be throwing money away, either your own or a charity's.

You can do as Hedgecrafter has suggested and see if anyone on the forum would be interested to either buy or swap them off you or you can donate them to a charity that either send them out to developing countries that can use them or sell them to raise money for their charity work.

Unfortunately I can't remember the name of them right now but I'm sure someone on the forum will and can point you the right direction.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
There is a thread going at the moment about a homesteading toolkit.

Why not go on there and write a list of essential tools. Then coincide that with a sales thread a day later.
:)

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I managed to take a few snaps tonight, including a couple of tools I need help identifying (separate thread).

Firstly, the box of toys

Then the first rebate plane looks like its had a new base on it at some point:

The second rebate plane:

And finally the plane that needs real skill to use:

Many happy memories in that box - just a shame I can't use all the tools. I can, however, make use of the brace and bit which I used to love as a kid.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Fretsaw, Keyhole/Padsaw, Sliding bevel, Boxwood chisels, Auger, Sawset, Square and Spokeshave, all still very usable. I think the second plane pictured is plough plane.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE