what size of rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
i have recently bought a hammock, tarp, sleeping bag & a few other goodies to start going out in the woods. the problem i have is i ordered a 30 litre rucksack (thinking 30 litres was a lot) but cant get everything in. i have since returned this & was wondering what size would be sufficient fo a couple of days in the woods??

ta!!

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Now you've started something. :D

30 litres is enough for a fortnight for some. I, on the other hand, like to take the kitchen sink when I go out and have just bought a 99 litre rucksack.

It very much depends on what you are going to do when you're out. If you are going to be walking many miles you'll want something fairly small. If you're base camping you'll need something big enough to carry everything you need.

Martin

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have found a pack of about 45 litres to be about right for a couple of days. I started with a highlander 44, and have recently got a karrimor sabre 45, but i have used packs with side pockets for so long, i find the karrimor a bit strange at the moment.

Rob

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
ta for that, i think i go for one in the region of 40 - 60 as i will probly only go out for 2 days max till i get used to it, 1st time out and all!!!

thanx again.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I tend to use a 35 or 45L sack most of the year round but when it comes to winter time I have to up it to a 75L. Basically for me it comes down to which sleeping bag I'm using and if I've got my underblanket with me as well. A decent 4 season bag and the UB take up about 1/3 of my 75L sack, the rest if filled with spare clothes, cooking kit, toys, food and waterproofs.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers shewie, i'll probly be going out around october up in the grantown-on-spey area, how cold do u think it will get at that time of year & any idea's where to go etc (should prob ask that in the out & about part but hey i've not been on in a while so i'll blame inexperience).

ta!!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
cheers shewie, i'll probly be going out around october up in the grantown-on-spey area, how cold do u think it will get at that time of year & any idea's where to go etc (should prob ask that in the out & about part but hey i've not been on in a while so i'll blame inexperience).

ta!!

Have a look at this site........http://www.strathspeyweather.co.uk/comparison.htm

Just down the road from me and you will get an idea from the last few years min & max temps. There are quite a few areas round here to wild camp and you could always get into the hills (cairngorms) BUT BE AWARE, the weather can change very quickly and we often have our first snow in October! It will all depend on how much experience you have.

What you need to take will just be trial and error to begin with.

Remember, The bigger the sac, the more you will carry!

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers dogoak, inetesting stuff, i wont be venturing too far into the woods, ideally i'd be looking for a spot where i can set up camp away from people, have a small fire & maye a spot of fishing, i'm just eager to get out & have been for a while but just never had the oppertunity due to one thing or another. i now have the gear & although i have no relative experience (i've been overnight camping with friends but always near civilisation so have never been totally away from it all) i want to get out there. i know october prob isnt the best time to start but if i dont do it then i never will if you know what i mean!

ta!

Adamm

Feb 27, 2005
Burderop, Wilts
i have recently bought a hammock, tarp, sleeping bag & a few other goodies to start going out in the woods. the problem i have is i ordered a 30 litre rucksack (thinking 30 litres was a lot) but cant get everything in. i have since returned this & was wondering what size would be sufficient fo a couple of days in the woods??

ta!!

50-60 litres. Lightweight with compression straps. I use my 55l Gregory G-pack for day hikes and multi-week treks.

76bts

I find 45litre is a good size for couple days camping, my mindset is if I was in a survival situation and had nothing what would I really wish I had (apart from a pint beside the fire in the pub) and then add it to the bag, i.e tarp, pot, sleeping bag, mat/groundsheet, some food, pair socks (morale), bivvi bag, fire source, axe, knife. Investing in a compact sleeping bag is worthwhile for saving space I think.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
I have 3, a forces 35 for days and weekends, a bergen of about 45 for an easy week and a forces 88 for a hard week and longer.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
my m8 got the highlander 55 and fits what he needs in there, i got the 66 and its done me well.
each to their own however, if you like taking alot of stuff then get a big pack, if you don't take too much get a smaller one.

i'd start at 45 and go up from there, but the highlander 55 is a good all rounder.

RGRBOX

Forager
I have a Norrona Hansen 45L ruck that I'0ve been using for several years now. Best ruck for me so far. It does have a couple of 7 L pouches that can be added to the sides, but I just did a 40 km 3 day hump with it, and it served me more then well. I would liek ot have the Karrimor Sabre 45 again, but it just doesn't fit my upper body size. the adjustment slides at the shoulders straps hit me at the pecks and this is painful over a km of humnping it.. so I gave it up..

Anyway, 45L is the best size I've found to a hump..

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I once made the mistake of commenting on the number of pairs of shoes owned by SWMBO. She pulled my toy cupboard apart and pointed out that I owned 9 rucksacks - which she considered to be 8 too many...:)

I use three of them mostly - a Karrimor 20 litre which goes everywhere with me (even when accompanying SWMBO shopping for shoes!) A Sabre 30 for day walks/bushy stuff and a Granite Gear Vapour trail (60 litres) for multi-day walks. I wouldn't want to carry more than 60 litres worth of kit unless I was staying in one place but this happens so rarely that the Vapour Trail covers most eventualities. It is not "bushy robust," however, as it is aimed at lightweight backpacking - you pays your money... as they say.

I would avoid huge packs - the bushy adage "know more and carry less" has never been true in reality - more a case of "know more - buy more lurvley kit..."

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
more than enough info thanks everyone, this site really is a great find everybody is very helpful & there's advice on any subject, great for a beginner like myself so i cant thank you all enough.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE