What on earth is this animal part?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
you could use it for knife scales, cut it length ways, sand / cut out the insides you dont need then heat with steam or heat gun and flatten out to make scales, jobs a gooden....;)
oo
it does burn though so be careful, hhhhmm not sure if it would work with ivory, it does work with horn though.... worth a thought, you could always stack it with leather for a knife handle t...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty sure it is warthog after further looking - the shape of the open cross section is almost identical to these

warthogtuskpile_365_detail.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think you're right Hugh.

As for shaping I seem to remember reading somewhere that elephant ivory used to be shaped by boiling similar to the way Tom is doing his cow horn so you might be able to do it with your tusk

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interesting stuff - I'll have to put up some pictures of the even weirder item that was in the same box!

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Its not hollow for most of the length Chris - most of it is solid!

yes but is the inside SOLID or does it have pores through it???? cant quite tell from the pictures.. in either case you should still be able to heat it carefully and straiten it out...

as for where the root is, cut that section off seal it with bees wax and use it to drink your home brewed beer Hugh.....;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No pores Chris - dense as...Teak?

Not sure about beer - but it would make a great Whisky tumbler!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Bloomin' big warthog! Thickipedia reckons the upper tusks will grow to 10"... whereas yours looks over 10" with the tip cut off. My first impression was hippo just from the striations along it's length, the overall length would suggest adult hippo rather than "the god of all warthogs" - I'm an amateur zoologist though not an expert.

Some useful information re different ivories here - no info on warthog though.

Hope it works out well for you Hugh.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are a bit under 10" - but as you say on the extreme for warthog. The cross section shape and pulp cavity are spot on for warthog though and atypical for hippo from what I can tell.....

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
The width is more exceptional than the length for warthog tusks and they are a bit too straight.

Here is a world record warthog to help you decide:

ko-224-4-lg.jpg

My bet would be that it would be from the hippo in the box... :D

http://www.ivory-netsuke.com/images/hippo-tusk.JPG

The straight teeth are the incisors.

The mounted blocks you have could well be the tips that were sawn off the pieces above.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE