What on earth is this animal part (II)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay - this one has me stumped completely. Two items from the same job lot as the last item.

I don't even know if we are talking horn, or tooth or claw or fossil or what here. Shape seems toothy, appearance horny :)))

There are two of them, look to be old, mounted on wooden blocks. They are about 4" tall

Front by British Red, on Flickr

Front with tape by British Red, on Flickr

The back is very distictive

Back by British Red, on Flickr

Anyone help me here with a clue as to the nature of these items?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've been googling images again....how about two halves of the same cloven hoof?

DSCN3232.JPG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
go on tell us more about the job lot you bought ?

Nothing fascinating - I wanted a pair of cow horns and there was a pair and an odd one in this lot - plus these "things" and a lump of some sort of tusk...warthog perhaps?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ahhh - that presumably will restore the animals to life?

I'm not sure of the logic, perhaps if the Queen has a nice collection of netsuke figurines then that might encourage others to think that they should have one too? The Guardian thinks that it is a good idea so it must be.

:p

Back on topic, I don't think they are hooves, but I have no clue as to what they really are, I will await an expert opinion.

Last edited:

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Perhaps the lower teeth of a warthog?
Assuming they have the same as wildboar.

Prettymuch like these (pic is of a 1 to 2 yr old hungarian boar)
IMAG0251_zps8e29ec6a.jpg

Camel

Forager
Nov 5, 2012
London
In consideration of the size especially they are most likely to be Hippo teeth, the ones circled in red in Mesquite's post in fact.

Their job is to sharpen the corresponding bottom teeth to help the hippo cut the huge amounts of vegetation it must consume every day. I kept the teeth from my hippo and have all sorts of little bits and pieces made from them. They make very good rifle and shotgun night beads for example and work very well for scrimshaw work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE