What kind of tracks are these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I need some help identifying a track I found yesterday while going to my trap line. I didn't have a my camera with me yesterday so I took some shoots of the same track today. The round form is not bigger than a print size of a dog, but it doesn't look to me like a track from a fox? What do you guys think?
It had snowed a little on top of the track and I could not see clearly the form of the single track only the main pattern.

Here are the pictures.
bcuk3.jpg

bcuk2.jpg

bcuk.jpg

thanks for helping if it is possible at all
cheers
Abbe

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well, without better shots of the prints it is hard to know. Simply playing on a process of elimination will get you somewhere. It looks like they are direct register, back feet fitting into the prints of the front feet. I would say you are down to lynx, fox or wolf. Without some more dimensions, like stride length, and overall print size and proportion :?:

What kind of animals do you think you might have in the area?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
C_Claycomb said:
Well, without better shots of the prints it is hard to know. Simply playing on a process of elimination will get you somewhere. It looks like they are direct register, back feet fitting into the prints of the front feet. I would say you are down to lynx, fox or wolf. Without some more dimensions, like stride length, and overall print size and proportion :?:

What kind of animals do you think you might have in the area?

I will see if I get some better shots for you tomorrow, but what I can do is to measure the distance between the steps. It is indeed on line of the same track, so all pictures I took are from the same animal at different positions.
We have all of them here lynx, fox and wolf. But I doubt that it could be lynx and wolf because the prints are to small, they look more like a small dog but there are no human prints nearby and dogs are usually not alone out here.
I would think that it could be a fox but having seen clear fox tracks they look to broad for a fox. (Or am I mistaken) I thought that a fox steps into his steps and the last one I saw where like a pearl chain not stepped out so broadly.
Thanks for the help, lets see if I get something better tomorrow when I go to check for my traps.

cheers
Abbe

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I stright away thought fox or the like. The rythem of the track immediatly suggest it, the track-tail leading onward to the next pace seems to suggest it was something of that sort bouncing along at its merry own pace

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Is it me or is there only one line of tracks? Implying an animal that stood like a bicycle??
Thats the typical track pattern of a cat or fox (being the only member of the dog family that directly registers) trotting through snow ;-)

Was the track 'direct register'? It's hard to tell from the photo

Ed

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Nomad said:
I stright away thought fox or the like. The rythem of the track immediatly suggest it, the track-tail leading onward to the next pace seems to suggest it was something of that sort bouncing along at its merry own pace

Thanks mate, you paint a funny picture to my mind of a happy fox bouncing along. :)

cheers
Abbe

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
lol, i was taught to track through reading the "music" of the track, and to see how the animal was moving (rather than stick to the technical aspects constanly), so i`m of that type of tracker that instead of indiividually accounting each sign, you `see` how it moved

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd vote fox too. Looks like direct register and a pretty straight track. Foxes don't seem to meander much.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
What do you mean by direct register??

Sorry but I am a bit old fashoined and don't really know all the new words people seem to use these days.

Abbe.
Looking at the tracks it could have been a Fox and it did not seem to be in a hurry, so its probably been watching you for weeks. :yumyum:

MickT

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
bothyman said:
What do you mean by direct register??

Sorry but I am a bit old fashoined and don't really know all the new words people seem to use these days.

Abbe.
Looking at the tracks it could have been a Fox and it did not seem to be in a hurry, so its probably been watching you for weeks. :yumyum:

MickT
Direct register, the back foot steps in the same spot the front foot has vacated over-printing it.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Snufkin said:
Direct register, the back foot steps in the same spot the front foot has vacated over-printing it.

Cheers Snufkin

So "Direct Register" is another way of saying, they are putting one foot inside the other??.
There seems to be a lots of words for tracking coming up, "Pressure Release" "Action Indicators" and such like words.
I presume People are either reading the same books or going on the same Courses.

MickT :biggthump :wave:

Moine

Forager
Fox could be it. But it'd be a fox with big feet... Sometimes in powdery snow it's hard to tell if it's really a direct register, as the second print shovels snow over the first one and hides it.

So either a big fox, a coyote, a dog or a small wolf... Or even a small lynx (if no claws are showing, it's a lynx).

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE