What is with the litre measurement of rucsacs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Saw an offer on Karrimor Rucsacks at Sports Direct, so I now have two new work rucksacks. Strangely the Gelert 30L they are replacing, is massive compaired to both of them.

It really worth seeing this stuff in the real world.

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
It would seem that some of the measurements of backpacks/rucksacks can be a bit misleading by their "appearance" and I am not sure if UK makers have adopted the standard but from what I have read, most American manufacturers have adopted the ASTM standard (http://www.astm.org/Standards/F2153.htm). ASTM F2153 - 07 if I understand it correctly is measured by filling any closeable feature on said products with 38mm plastic balls and then counted after filling to gather their volume rating? If someone knows more if I am incorrect, please let me know and I will revise.

I agree it is a real bugger to order packs without actually seeing them in person, in fact that goes for many products you use "on your person".

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, it's surprised me in the past. Adopting a standard would be good,I think some do the main compartment and some everything, the trouble sometimes is that you've got a main compartment and that's the whole volume and other times you've got the main compartment, pockets, lid pocket, expanding pocket etc so you get the sack picturing a size and the main compartment is no where near due to the volume being taken up everywhere else...

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Agreed.

I far prefer a length, width and height spec and I calculate the volume myself - some volumes seem to be measured on a cram-it-in basis so that the bag distorts to near spherical. This gives the biggest volume figure, but you just can't carry the bag if it's that overfilled.

Probably one of the worst examples of an overstated volume is on one make and model of bicycle panniers. They're currently quoted by the manufacturer at 32 litres, but about 20 years ago (when I bought mine), they were 23 litres, and this lower figure is borne out by a calculation of the volume. Mis-type by the manufacturer?

Cheers

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Yep, it does seem to be like clothes sizing, they do what they want.

The side net pockets seem to deigned to look pretty because while they do seem to work they drive you nuts because with water bottles in them you just cannot trust them.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Yep, it does seem to be like clothes sizing, they do what they want.

The side net pockets seem to deigned to look pretty because while they do seem to work they drive you nuts because with water bottles in them you just cannot trust them.

I have a small Berghaus daysack and the net pocket is quite good, on the other hand my 65 litre karrimor has terrible net pockets.

My 65 litre karrimor is great, seems every pocket has been measure to get 65 litres. Not the toughest bag but adjustable back and an amazing hip belt make it good for me.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have a small Berghaus daysack and the net pocket is quite good, on the other hand my 65 litre karrimor has terrible net pockets.

My 65 litre karrimor is great, seems every pocket has been measure to get 65 litres. Not the toughest bag but adjustable back and an amazing hip belt make it good for me.

Really like the two daysacs, but I bought them to use for work and they just do not seem big enough. Think the net pocket problem will be solved by using my outdoor bottles, but I do not want the hassel of using them at work.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It depends on what you want to carry as to what you can get into it. I have a cheap Karrimor that I use for my shopping, it bends out of shape to accomodate all kinds of rubbish, but I wouldn't want to walk far with things sticking into my back, I have a vaude 25 + 4 for the outdoors which although roughly the same capacity is tall and thin, difficult to pack but provides more comfort and balance, notwithstanding it will take a hydration bladder. It won't fall apart if it gets abraded on a few rocks either, so it is as with everything horses for courses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE