what is the world becoming

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i was helping a fellow scout leader with his 1st camp with his group this weekend on a scout campsite. we went out for a hour to do a river crossing with the kids, came back to find the tents had been slashed. new vango's with aproz 18" holes in them. it boils my blood. can you get tent patches that large?. i have seen them but only 4" . cheers.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's just, ach there aren't words to describe my disgust at such people :(

Report it to the police, even if they just show face where you were camping it might discourage further problems.

As for the patches, I think you could well contact Vango and ask....I haven't seen patches that big.

If that doesn't work, ask here, because a fair number of us have old but useable ( or even folks who come across bought for one camp and dumped tents) tent pieces that might do very well.

atb,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That stinks, sorry to hear about this

I've also only seen little repair patches but you can buy proofed nylon easily enough from outdoor fabric suppliers like Point North etc.

18" sounds pretty severe though, have you any insurance at all for the group ?

I'd be tempted to write a begging letter to Vango and see if they'll come good on replacements.

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
That's really low of whoever is responsible. As others have said try Vango directly and see what they can offer. Good luck in getting sorted :)

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
sheers tengu. the police have been told. but there isnt anything they can do. insurance excess would be prob more than the cost of fixing them. nothing was even stolen you could prob see why they did it if they was out to steal things but just cut up the fly sheets. glad we didnt take the force ten's could have cost alot more. cheers guys

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
As mentioned, I'd get in touch with Vango and see what they recommend.

Have you had someone contact the Group's insurance. It's got to be worth a look, if your suspicions about the excess are true, you still haven't lost anything by asking.

I'd also be tempted to take it to the press. Some upset looking scouts pictured with the tents could prompt some local buisness donations perhaps?

Are the Scout Campsite looking into what happened? I sure hope so, as they could have a security issue. I hope in many ways that it was local "yoofs" and not fellow scouts.

I don't understand the mentality of some people, mindless vandalism, pathetic.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
insurance excess would be prob more than the cost of fixing them.

Have you been in contact with Gillwell and/or Unity (the Association's insurer)?

Edit: It does make me wonder what goes on in some peoples minds and I hope the situation gets sorted quickly and with ease.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE