what is the law on blade length

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I have just brought a Friction Folding knife,and the Blade is just over 3'',But the Edge is under 3'' is this a Legal Carry,I think the law for blade length is measured from where the Egde starts,to the Point
Am I right or Wrong

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
good question, tbh im not sure but say the over all lengh of a blade is 6 inches but the edge is only 3 surely thats got to be worse than a blade of only 3 inches.

pete

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Yeah it does sound odd,But I brought a MARBLES Large Whittler Pocket knife from Hennie Haynes,and I asked if it was Legal and they checked and told me that it was,the blade on this knife was just over 3'',but the Edge was under 3''.And I've been carrying that one for months.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Criminal Justice Act, 1988. Section 139(1).

"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches. The burden of proving the lawful authority lies with the defendant."

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> so if your bobby knows the law you should be fine.

If only..........
rofl.gif

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
The debate that really exists about that portion is which of these they meant by "cutting edge"

law.jpg

The third one would be a bummer. In fact, the first one would be a bummer. Hell, the whole laws a bit of a bummer. Btw the line on the second one is only supposed to extend to the plunge line...

I think on BB many people seem to think it's the first one, but some people are taking the belt and braces approach of insuring that from bolster to blade tip and from ricasso to blade tip diagonally are all under 3". Course a sheeps foot makes the whole deal easier! Though I've got the largest non-locking Opinel available, the whole bit of metal that makes up the blade and tang is under 3" ;) The letter of the law really implies the third option to me, though if I was a copper common sense would push me towards the second unless I really wanted to make the arrest!

Pete

the letter of the law is the 3rd option fairly obvious to me for length of cutting edge

however most coppers use the 2nd option and probably whole blade length to the bolster as well (mate copper uses his thumb knuckle which is ruffly 1" so 3 of them )

you can always get teh desk Sgt to confirm and measure again :D

ATB

Duncan

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
My Opinel 6 is 0.01mm short of 7.62mm ;) using picture 3 as the guide. With the ring off obviously.
irrespective of blade length a lock blade knife is an illegal carry, UNLESS you can show just cause,
Equipped for fishing on way to beach= fine,
equipped for fishing sat in pub= arrestable

and just seen someone on tv ARRESTED FOR HAVING A LOCK KNIFE IN THE BOOT OF THE CAR. So not even on person.

irrespective of blade length a lock blade knife is an illegal carry, UNLESS you can show just cause,
Equipped for fishing on way to beach= fine,
equipped for fishing sat in pub= arrestable

and just seen someone on tv ARRESTED FOR HAVING A LOCK KNIFE IN THE BOOT OF THE CAR. So not even on person.

umm he says with the ring off which i take to mean the lock mech has been removed

and yes the inisde of your car is deemed a public place as is any where the public can get to Including paying so your front garden if its like mine and no fence etc even the wilderness gathering site as Joe public can pay and come in etc or camp sites

ATB

Duncan

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
"It is an offence for any person, without lawful authority or good reason, to have with him in a public place, any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except for a folding pocket-knife which has a cutting edge to its blade not exceeding 3 inches. The burden of proving the lawful authority lies with the defendant."

A difficult one is that a public place includes your car....so that knife sitting on the back seat is just as much of a problem as it being on your hip while driving.

It is always best to make blades as inaccessable as possible in all places exacpt the area you have lawful authority (which is best proved by having some sort of documentation to prove why you need to have it) or good reason.

My blades are always at the bottom of rucksacks or in lockable boxes ( especially as I can be carrying 20 knives alone a lot of the time) in the boot of my vehicle.

There is a saying in law that ignorance of it is not an excuse, i think there should be an addition saying that your opinion of it is one neither. Lets stay safe and sensible and give bushcrafters a good name out there and if teaching, be proffessional and cover yourself, your reputation and promote sensible use to the public as I know a great many people do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE