What is the best roll mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm a closed cell foam (either ridegrest or the solid kind) and reindeer hide fan. Dependability is the main reason I have never liked the inflatables. Dropped an axe on it? No problem (well, some slight grumbling). Hot sparks from the fire? No problem. If I needed to I could make new insoles for my mukluks with a knife, or a splint for an injured limb (or neck).

Even if the inflatables are better 99% of the time I keep worrying about the last 1%.

The fact that my kit is best expained by assuming that a Gold Rush Yukon sourdough robbed a 70's or 80's era backpacker is a benefit, not a problem.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Forest walker, like tents, tarps and bivvy bags, the mats can be simply repaired :D and they weight less than the reindeer skins.

cheers,
M

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I threw out my inflatable mat earlier this year (too many punctures) and I'm back on a 10mm foam mat, simpler, easier, much lighter, much much cheaper and has alternative uses. It may help that I can sleep anywhere without a problem, but I wouldn't bother with another inflatable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, that's a point :D

That said though, has anyone managed to puncture one of the down mats ? They give the impression of being incredibly robust.

cheers,
M

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
No, not yet. I'll update you when I get my PD600 and come back from my trip :D

Anyway, before I bought the downmat and actually tried it out, I was very worried it wouldn't be strong enough, as I'm hypersensitive to foam and by extension to foam mats. So it was either an inflatable mat or bulky reindeer skins. My downmat seems to be very strong and "rugged", but I have only used it for a week in total by now.

My next trip will involve lots of sand, grit and hopefully lots of rocks for at least a fortnight, and I hope it will hold up to that. I'm pretty sure it will, though, otherwise I wouldn't attempt such a trip in November/December.

I aired my concerns on SOTP back when I bought mine, and a bloke was more or less calling me paranoid (in good spirit), and said that if I were worried I should use it inside a tent and certainly not worry about grit and that sort of thing. He himself used it without anything under it, both on the beach, on small rockstrewn places and so on, and after receiving it and trying it out, I have to admit it does seem very, very strong.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I remember waiting for the postman to bring my first ever Thermarest...then the dissapointment when I used it :( And yes, I agree you need to give a couple of puffs to get it up and running. A bit better comfort wise than a cell mat but no where near as comfy as an air bed or folding cots. I've sold my Thermarest but have three or four Highlander (or is it Gelert) brand I'll put up for swaps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE