What is the best poncho shelter at the moment?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
My DD Hammocks poncho is a bit leaky at the neck after a quite a few years of service. I was a fan, though I would have liked it a little wider to make it a better lean-to shelter and simpler around the neck.
What other options are out there at the moment?
I want something tough, big enough to sleep under (I'm a roll mat sleeper) that can double up as a waterproof poncho in bad weather. And I don't think it should cost more than £30... All suggestions welcome

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I don't think it should cost more than £30... All suggestions welcome
emoji106.png
Remember it's christmas... be careful what you wish for...
swiss-emergency-survival-poncho-02.jpg

Swiss army NBC poncho £6

Reactions: Will_

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
"58" pattern poncho is good
I love my 58 but I want one that's properly waterproof. My first shelter that traveled with me for 4 years I find it works pretty well as a tarp but even with different proofing sprays and the WD40 trick I haven't found it to be convincingly waterproof as a poncho in prolonged rain.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I love my 58 but I want one that's properly waterproof. My first shelter that traveled with me for 4 years I find it works pretty well as a tarp but even with different proofing sprays and the WD40 trick I haven't found it to be convincingly waterproof as a poncho in prolonged rain.

If you could rubberize the cloth that would seal it I have the same problem as mine is old the backing no longer seals, mine gets no use anymore thinking of remaking it to some thing else.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
If you could rubberize the cloth that would seal it I have the same problem as mine is old the backing no longer seals, mine gets no use anymore thinking of remaking it to some thing else.
Mine still gets a lot of use as a shooting mat and dragging deer in it. I'd love DD to take the exact design and make it in their heavy duty material... Might write to them

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Mine still gets a lot of use as a shooting mat and dragging deer in it. I'd love DD to take the exact design and make it in their heavy duty material... Might write to them

Ever come across the German version? much more like a rubberized cloth, thou I don't recall it having the eyelets but that's easy to resolve.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Ever come across the German version? much more like a rubberized cloth, thou I don't recall it having the eyelets but that's easy to resolve.
Only in pictures. It does sound totally waterproof though... I'll give it some more thought.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I use a German army rubberised one.
I does have eyelets, and poppers, all around it.

I don't think they're made any more so you have to be careful about the condition of any surplus ones. Pays to hold it up to the sunlight. That said, a bit of Tenacious Tape (on the inside) solves any problems, and I find it prudent to give the neck joint a going over with seam sealant just in case.

Yeah, you do sweat in them. But they are waterproof! I use mine all the time as both a poncho and a quick shelter when the weather's wet. They aren't the lightest things in the world but then they are more effective at holding out water than those lightweight coated polyester things. And, ultimately, being waterproof is the most important thing about waterproofs.
I also like the colour as well - a murky greeny/grey. It's sufficiently subdued that it allows you to blend in but it's not a camouflage pattern (which is a look that doesn't appeal to me personally).
One of these (though £19.99 seems a bit pricey - worth hunting around for, or looking in a traditional army surplus shop so you can check it for condition/holes):
https://www.militaryandoutdoor.co.u...rproof-heavy-duty-rubberised-poncho-army.html

D

Deleted member 36581

DD have their superlite ponchos back in stock. I got one for Christmas. Haven't used it yet but it's fairly light and looks like it'll do the job. Is like a bit more width though.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
Two weeks ago I bought an Exped Bivy Poncho (not the UL version!). Expensive. First impression: best poncho I've seen.
5min later: Sorry, overlooked your price range. For 30,- I would recommend orig swiss Army Ponchos (the older ones + Pellerine - although a Pellerine might not work with a Hammock). Excellent durability, a bit heavy but reliable and you have a roof. Used the german ponchos for years (and as many I still have two in the box - so it shouldn't be a problem to get a decent one. they really last.) But the swiss mil equipment always was a step ahead. Stronger fabrics, less smell. Scandinavian military did great stuff too.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best is the Defcon 5 poncho, 400g.
That is current original Italian army equipment.

It is the only new production which is wide enough to cover the arms of adult persons properly.

German and Austrian army ponchos weigh the double and cost half the price if you take them used.
Usually they are sold in very good conditions.

Six moon designs Gatewood Cape (green) and Serenity mesh inner tent are interesting too, but not very cheap.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE