What is "Bushcraft"?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I think that at root it is a marketing term to sell DVDs, courses and all manner of kit at sometimes extortionate prices. It adds glamour/ romance and adventure with more than a little soupspoon of macho panache to what some of us used to call camping or campcraft. Perhaps if one was being charitable one might say that it is symptomatic of the urbanisation of society where camping has come to mean something very different which involves electric and IP hookups whilst going out and enjoying the outdoors on its own terms has become something of a lost art. So if bushcraft is the recovery of this art then it is a shame that it is fast becoming an "industry" when what it ought to be is that which a father teaches a son about being out-of-doors. (I hope that any feminists will forgive the poetic use of gender specific references.)

That said I have found the type of people who "do bushcraft" to be some of the nicest and most generous people one could hope to meet.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
bushcraft is the skills of the hunter gatherer. and the ability not only to survive but to thrive when the modern world fails

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE