What improvised Blacksmith tools do you have?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Exactly what it says on the tin really!

I'm trying to put together a small patio forge! I've seen some brilliant ideas for the actual forge but struggling with an Anvil as they are so expensive.

So I was wondering what other people have done about this and what other make do solutions you have come up with for a forge and workshop?

Pib

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I frequently use the head of a large sledge hammer partialy embeded in a block of wood. I use a large engineer's ball pein hammer and just bash away at the same spot on the sledge hammer head, moving the work back and forth. I also use mole grips to hold the hot bits.

The above are great as a semi portable setup, using a camp fire, wall of stones and small bellows as a forge. While I wouldn't like to carry the hammers and bellows around in my pack, they can easily be carted into a wilderness camp environment for making steel strikers, small utility knives and a myriad of other camp goods.

Eric

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi Pib

I have been using a 12" piece of railway track for the past year and it works perfectly.

Another good one is a section from the forks of a fork lift truck. For knife making I haven't really needed anything more than a small flat surface. If I remember correctly I seem to remember Dave Budd using a piece of fork lift truck when I was with him! I'm sure he will be able to confirm this or or offer a good alternative to an anvil.

Nick

I made a actually very good pair of tongues, by using some old tent poles and some pliers. The poles are the sort of aluminium sort that old multi-person frame tents were made out of, before the days of the glass-fibre poles. These poles, about a metre in length each were then rammed onto the pliers. Works for me :)

I'll upload a pic if you want.

woodwalker

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Some good idea's so far. Eric the Hammer head sounds good.

I've heard that railway tracks are commonly used in third world countries, and if I were to have an ideal this would be it I guess as you can make the bick etc.

But I find it very hard to locate things like this. All that said I may be able to get hold of an RSJ, but I'll need to borrow a gas torch or something to cut it!

Woodwalker photo's would be great, whilst an anvil is my particular problem, I'm keen to how people have overcome their own problems.

Cheers guys!

Pib

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Years ago as I was walking past the rail head hardening plant in Workington I ambled in and asked the nearest bloke if there were any offcuts of railway line I could have, he nodded gave me the thumbs up and pointed at the nearest skip.

I got about an 18 inch length of 110 pound per yard line for nowt:)

Taking it home on the train was rather more of a task:(

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
There is a famous blade maker in America named Tai Goo. He uses a steel shaft set on end in a bucket of sand for an anvil. He also has other anvils but this is his oldest and the main one.

FMP10013a.jpg

Some of his home made hammers.
Homemadehammers.jpg

Cheap forge.
Mufflefurnace004a-1.jpg

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Don't worry just googled! Double wow what made you think I wouldn't be interested.

If I get to make stuff half that good I'd be well chuffed!

Pib

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
No Moras or Woodlores there.

Tai started The Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths.

From the web site
The Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths are an educational group, dedicated to the free exchange of information, most notably bladesmithing and related crafts. We are a diverse group of people, united through a mutual enthusiasm for the Neo-Tribal approach to metalsmithing, we combine ancient and modern tools, materials, and techniques.

The emphasis is on high-quality and original hand craftsmanship, innovation, and the efficient use of resources. We freely share information, form groups - Tribes - and encourage contact and learning with like-minded enthusiasts.

Here is some of his work.
http://www.taigooknives.com/Gallery - Bush Knives - 2/index-gallery.html

I hope to start up a forge and practice the Neo-Tribal style soon.

Home made forge and tools are among the central themes with the members.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Hi Pib

Dave Budd using a piece of fork lift truck when I was with him! I'm sure he will be able to confirm this or or offer a good alternative to an anvil.

Nick

I’m fairly sure he uses two forked lift truck spikes welded together. I don’t think their heat treated.
sorry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE