What idiot invented micropore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Damn lucky there my friend that you didn't do worse :( you have my sympathies

I think your darling Emma will be saying something different... :rofl:

Shhhhh. Only us three and Clem know the truth.

So you are a mead convert now then Jon?

Yeah, well, since you sent me yours, I've probably knocked back more than the population of Nottingham during the 12th century. It is quite splendid stuff.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Even the bottles are getting difficult. Screw top wine bottles are useless for re-use. I tend to do mead bottles in half bottles now - and I am actually having to buy wine bottles (only the 375ml I admit - but still)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Even the bottles are getting difficult. Screw top wine bottles are useless for re-use. I tend to do mead bottles in half bottles now - and I am actually having to buy wine bottles (only the 375ml I admit - but still)

It's the outside of the bottles that are threaded; couldn't you cork them on reuse?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can with some of them yes - but they look very poor and can chip when the corking gun goes on

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That makes sense. I tried beer making from a kit years ago. The bottles with the kit were also screw top and they worked pretty well (to my surprise) But they were like home canning, in that you could reuse the bottles themselves, but not if I remember correctly, you couldn't reuse the caps.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That makes sense. I tried beer making from a kit years ago. The bottles with the kit were also screw top and they worked pretty well (to my surprise0 But they were like home canning, in that you could reuse the bottles themselves, but not if I remember correctly, you couldn't reuse the caps.

Wine bottles are a different thing entirely. The pressure from a cork radiating out can cause fractures on a screw bottle neck as they are not designed to take outward pressure in that area.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That makes sense. I tried beer making from a kit years ago. The bottles with the kit were also screw top and they worked pretty well (to my surprise) But they were like home canning, in that you could reuse the bottles themselves, but not if I remember correctly, you couldn't reuse the caps.

I use proper crown caps (the type you need a bottle opener to remove) for beer.

I was surprised to learn that there is a limit to the number of times that you can re-crown a glass bottle. Somewhere around the tenth re crowning the bulge at the top of the neck shears right off.

I call it "glass fatigue" but I suppose there is a proper term for it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wine bottles are a different thing entirely. The pressure from a cork radiating out can cause fractures on a screw bottle neck as they are not designed to take outward pressure in that area.

True. I wasn't thinking about it quite that way.

I use proper crown caps (the type you need a bottle opener to remove) for beer.

I was surprised to learn that there is a limit to the number of times that you can re-crown a glass bottle. Somewhere around the tenth re crowning the bulge at the top of the neck shears right off.

I call it "glass fatigue" but I suppose there is a proper term for it.

Yeah, I'd have liked to have used proper bottles and caps. Mind you, when I say they were "screw tops" I don't mean the "twist off" ones that look like crimped tops, I mean rescrewable ones like on 1 liter soda bottles.

They were part of a kit and they worked quite well TBH. It just didn't feel right to me.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Beer works in any "pressure vessel" to be honest - old pop (soda) bottles work just fine.

For preference I prefer the swing clip lid Grolsch type bottles - but I only have about 60 of them and can't seem to find any more :(

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm guessing that you were shooting a semi-auto handgun and used both hands, with left thumb wrapped over the top - looks like the slide went into the web.

You won't do that again I bet.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm guessing that you were shooting a semi-auto handgun and used both hands, with left thumb wrapped over the top - looks like the slide went into the web.

I'm not that stupid. I used to be a small arms instructor ;)

No, this injury was caused by a much more ancient shooting device.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE