What idiot invented micropore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
They've eliminated the nastiest hospital acquired stuff thankfully. I think the last lot has it under control - got to keep using a topical one for three weeks now.

Its funny - they call it 'hospital acquired' but quite often your or yours are carrying it around without even knowing, its just when it meets the wrong part of you there's an issue

MRSA for instance has been seen in 3-10% of the population (depending on the study)

'tis why we swab every patient coming in the door...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That makes sense Corso - are you NHS though? They didn't swab my wound at the hospital at all (GP did at my insistence when I was prescribed a second course of antibiotics).

When I say "eliminated", I meant that they had ruled them out as the infection type thankfully :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That makes sense Corso - are you NHS though?

yep but dont hold it against me ;)

My specialty is oncology - we have to take an interest in infections as alot of our patients are immunocompromised due to treatment.

They didn't swab my wound at the hospital at all (GP did at my insistence when I was prescribed a second course of antibiotics).

got to love Empiric therapy ;)

Unfortunately science takes time, money and effort when people want results short cuts need to be taken....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't hold it against you at all :). Just a shame that my local NHS hospital is somewhere to avoided unless desperate

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
yep but dont hold it against me ;)

My specialty is oncology - we have to take an interest in infections as alot of our patients are immunocompromised due to treatment.

Corso, can I just say Thanks! Oncology is a tough gig and you guy's don't get half the respect you guy's deserve.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The NHS was pretty unwealdy beast at the best of times, and these days it doesn't really know what it is

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
On a similar subject, what buffoon invented plasters that need both hands to open them ?, you need one when you have a cut so only have one hand to use....

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh dear, hands out of use, the devil makes use of idle hands. (naughty boy!)

Sorry to hear all isn't going well and hope you heal soon. Remember that your tea making and food prep are impaired so the good lady will have to wait on you hand and foot, it's the law you know!

It's really horrible when wounds wont heal up, when I had no skin below the knees for about a year I was driven to distraction, and the constant trips to the nurse to get fixed are a drain on the old finances when we live somewhere rural.

Get well soon and stay off ladders, they are evil!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Micropore has to the be filthiest stuff imaginable. Everything sticks to it, from fuzz to general grubbiness.....and it still hurts when I pull it off. It doesn't break me out in a wet itchy rash the way that zinc oxide does though.

Melolin (or alternatives) taped on with ordinary elastoplasts work far better if you have busy hands.

Hope the infection clears quickly; nothing worse than hands out of use :(

M

Micropore is really for static wounds...its sticky paper and I'd not use it if I was 'working', other dressings are better for that environment. If a dressing is 'stuck' then rather than risk opening the wound soak the dressing in clean water for a short time.

Personally I pack Transpore in my FAK's as you get less allergy reactions than you can have with Micropore.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know you're right; it's just that sometimes you take what's to hand and that's often as not micropore and it's a mess. The last time my blood was taken the nurse stuck down the wee cotton ball thing with it, and when it came off it left me with two neat wee squares of burst vessels under the skin at my elbow :(

I think I'm going to investigate this Transpore stuff that's being recommended, and see how I get on with that.

On a side note; I find the hydrogel plaster things to be incredibly good :D Excellent on fingers.
The heel blister ones last for three or four days hard work and washing, and then just lift off as clean as a whistle leaving healthy skin behind.
Pity they're not suitable for all kinds of injuries though.

cheers,
M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
There's another tape, supposed to be better than Transpore even, the name escapes me though.

Corso might know. Lee, I didn't know you worked in Oncology. Good on you mate, I've spent plenty time with Oncs and Haematologists over the last year or so, got to admire the work they do.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
I don't hold it against you at all :). Just a shame that my local NHS hospital is somewhere to avoided unless desperate

Hmmmm notice your in the Mercia area got to say that if wasn't for a major hospital in that area (Warwickshire ish) then life would be a whole lot worse as I'd be still on kidney dialysis rather than living life with a transplanted kidney
On the flip side I could tell you all about medical tape as I used to be given it in multiple boxes
I am pretty grateful to the NHS as the alternative treatment I might have got in other systems around the world might not be so good

Gary

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Having sustained a nasty injury last Sunday and using this stuff. I understand your rant. It's pointless. My field FAK has better provisions. And they are being used.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Twas a shooting incident.

It doesn't look too bad in pics, but it was a good half inch deep. I could see muscles and tendons that aren't meant to be seen. Still, a bandage and some mead made it alright till we got home the next day. Damned well hurt when I peeled the bandage off along with half my skin.

Good job it wasn't my right hand. Although I nearly chopped my right index finger off a week earlier testing Alfredo's new knife :lmao: I thought I'd be able to continue the testing until that second injury happened. It's cursed I tell ye, It's cursed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE