what i got left with

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
below are some pics of what i was left with after posting the hides out to graham and patrick, i think i had the best deal :)

Picture11272.jpg

Picture11278.jpg

Picture11280.jpg

Picture11284.jpg

bernie

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
I am sure you will enjoy them Bernie, my mouth is watering just looking at the photos. You have a nice larder set up there mate.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
www.sausagemaking.org has different seasoning mixes for sale. Some of those may overpower the venison though. Definitely worth following Dave's advice above and trying a bit first. You could even season a small amount and try that and then if it's OK season a greater quantity in the same proportion.

(Just looked at the link above and there is a Game Sausage Seasoning which is recommended for venison.)

Jan 22, 2006
uk
excellent job there Bernie!
i'd recommend having a gander at the River Cottage site/ forum for recipe ideas.
here's one you might like:
http://www.channel4.com/food/recipe...-whittingstall/hughs_venison_burgers_p_1.html

i like venison pretty much as it is (maybe in smaller doses compared to beef) because of its richness, and i go with lots of salad (in a burger) or veg to spread the venison flavour out a bit, but i'd try pretty much anything...
With that much in the freezer you might be the man to experiment and teach us what we should have it with :)
really impressed with your butchering skills there, i'd love to improve mine to that level

arian

Jun 10, 2005
Where Am I?
Venison's very lean. I'd add a good quantity of pork belly in order to get the fat content up.

Scanker's right: venison is lean; sausages need fat. Pork shoulder fat is often recommended. Take a look at the ingredients list on some commercial venison sausages (remember ingredients are listed in quantity order).

Regards
arian

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Scanker's right: venison is lean; sausages need fat. Pork shoulder fat is often recommended. Take a look at the ingredients list on some commercial venison sausages (remember ingredients are listed in quantity order).

Regards
arian

I'm using the correct amount of belly pork, its just the seasoning, herbs and spices not quite right,tried a little bit cooked and tastes fine,but when you do the rest its not the same.i need a tried and tested 10lb of meat recipe,
cheers bernie

arian

Jun 10, 2005
Where Am I?
I'm using the correct amount of belly pork, its just the seasoning, herbs and spices not quite right,tried a little bit cooked and tastes fine,but when you do the rest its not the same.i need a tried and tested 10lb of meat recipe,
cheers bernie

There's a book of recipes linked in this thread:
http://overthegate.myfreeforum.org/about5437.html
It's American. There's a recipe for venison sausage (and venison salami) in it. 2lb of venison.

It's an executable file, but I couldn't find any nasties included.

Regards
arian

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bernie,

Venison makes the best jerky in the world! Have you thought of making some of that? I'd happily pitch in and assist

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
red
great minds must think alike as iv'e just asked the wife to get a joint out the freezer so i could make some jerky,ive got a jerky maker which i purchased from the states,if you ever need any venison get in touch and i'll sort it

bernie

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bernie, long trek but I'd love some (actually I'd love to learn from you - my butchery is fairly rustic - I'm better at small game than venison)

It sprang to my mind as a buddy of mine who taps his own maple syrup (in Vermont) just sent me this picture of his maple syrup marinated venison jerky! Now I'm fortunate enough to have some of his maple syrup soo.....

jerkyonracka.jpg

He does some yummy looking venison sausage too :)

venisonsausagegrind5a.jpg

I've asked for his recipe for you.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE