What head torch??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Would appreciate some advice from the more clued up about the purchase of a decent head torch, as the one i am currently using which i won in a competition a good while ago has seen better days and i now wish to replace it, my main issue is that i want a decent, lightweight one that will not chew through batteries at an alarming rate, will be used for general activities, dog walking, and taken with me on hunting trips, doesn't have to be super heavy duty, just a decent light. I have looked at the Alpkit Gamma and Silva Twilite so far, any more suggestions? Budget up to £25 or a bit more if appropriate. Many thanks folks.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I have about 5 different headtorches - Petzl, LED Lenser, Silverpoint etc but the Alpkit Gamma gets my vote as the best of the bunch and it is ridiculously cheap for what you get.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
+1 for the Alpkit Gamma.

I've used various Petzyls for years (and various other brands) but the Gamma is cheaper, powerful, loads of different colour/intensity options plus the little red light at the back is handy as a 'follow me' light. Comfy enough to wear for hours, small enough to be stuck in a pocket.

I've had mine for months and use it fairly regularly (outdoors plus little jobs around the house) and haven't had to replace the batteries after using it for hours on end.

£15 is a bargain for such a great little torch.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
When it comes to head torches, , i use ones with just a couple of LEDs in them such as the Petzl eLITE and the Petzl Tikka 2 the batteries last for a long time and lets face it all you need is enough light to see what in front of you ,why do you need to see 80m in front of you, and these powerfull head torches eat batteries

Jason

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Alpkit is good, if you want something without the battery pack and three-way strap then a simple Petzl Tikka will work.

Petzl prices increase as you raise the lumen level so you need to decide how bright you want it, another good option are Zebralightbut they're a bit more spendy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't like AAA batteries so have stuck to AAs. The PEtzl Myo is a great torch but pricier than you want. I use a Fenix HL21 that runs on a single AA and outputs 90 lumens - cost me £22 shipped from the US

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Tesco, Energiser, tenner, job done.

'Every little helps' :lmao:

Thanks for the suggestion but would be wanting a reasonable amount of build quality and reliability if needed when i am stalking and opening deer up in the fading light, my old cheapo head torch is now knackered and i have the scars on my fingers from last winter to prove it :cussing:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Petzle tactica XP runs on three AAA last for a week using it every night for a couple of hours walking then reading in bed. Very solid build and a selection of filters, one stays in the unit and you slide it over when needed and another kept in a holder on the strap, very happy with it, used and abuse and not showing any sign or wear.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've got a Silva Ninox that I rate very highly.
It's economical to run and it had a storage pouch incorporated into the headband to keep things tidy in your pack.

I have two Petzls, one is the Tikka and the Tikka Plus 2. Both are great little head torches and last for ages. The Plus 2 has the ability to use the red light which is great if you do not wish to destroy yours or other people's night vision

The trouble with headtorches is that they are small and fit nicely into a hammock pocket and be lost for months whilst you buy another one, only to find the original one next time you are out.
Or you put them in a pocket in your bag and forget where you put them whilst at the moot. :eek:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have several Petzls , all of which are perfectly good headlights. BUT I foolishly bought an Alpkit Gamma at the Bushcraft Show when it was in Windermere and even more foolishly gave it to my son.
It punches way above it's weight in terms of power and options for colour and intensity and is ludicrously cheap.Buy one but don't give it away.
Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'Every little helps' :lmao:

Thanks for the suggestion but would be wanting a reasonable amount of build quality and reliability if needed when i am stalking and opening deer up in the fading light, my old cheapo head torch is now knackered and i have the scars on my fingers from last winter to prove it :cussing:

They get good reviews pretty much everywhere so they can't be all bad now can they.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5W-CREE-L...1682562412448749086&pid=100011&prg=1005&rk=1&

For the price of two pints bung one in your bag, they ain't bad at all either.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Would appreciate some advice from the more clued up about the purchase of a decent head torch, as the one i am currently using which i won in a competition a good while ago has seen better days and i now wish to replace it, my main issue is that i want a decent, lightweight one that will not chew through batteries at an alarming rate, will be used for general activities, dog walking, and taken with me on hunting trips, doesn't have to be super heavy duty, just a decent light. I have looked at the Alpkit Gamma and Silva Twilite so far, any more suggestions? Budget up to £25 or a bit more if appropriate. Many thanks folks.

4d629451-0357-7226.jpg

This one for a tenner if u want ledlenser aaa
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
The trouble with headtorches is that they are small and fit nicely into a hammock pocket and be lost for months whilst you buy another one, only to find the original one next time you are out.

Yep...that's why I've got 5 of the things...two petzyls, a couple of energizers, and now my beloved alpkit gamma.

I recently bought the conversion kit for my old petzyl zoom so that I could use AA batteries rather than trying to track down the flat batteries.

Out of all of them though, the numerous options to change colours/intensity on the gamma makes it the most versatile of the lot and it's also the smallest of them all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE