What have i let myself in for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
There comes a time when you wonder to yourself "what have i let myself in for?", tommorow night that time will come....

Last night I agreed to take on the beaver section of our group as the previous leader felt it was time to be more at home, I've spent the best part of the night getting the members onto OSM (should make admin easier) but i've not got a single badge record for any of the beavers....not looking forward to the first night back, doing an "arm audit" and doing the planned night (thankfully the previous leader sent me her session plans for the month...should buy me a bit of time). My hope is that i can juggle BSL and ACSL while still putting my ACSL role first and planning beavers around it.

....What have i let myself in for?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
We do these things and wonder why all the time, well I'll tell you why.....its because we care about others as well as ourselves and this is our way of giving something back to the community. I have felt on numerous occasions that its just a baby sitting/child minding service we are providing as the parents come and go, shove the weekly subs in your hand and never get involved, never ask about anything. Some people appear to be, well, just not interested in their child's activities but when you look closer, its not like that at all. A lot of these kids come from less fortunate backgrounds, people have problems and it shows but we might read it wrong and assume someone taking us for a mug. If these kids didnt have activities like this and people like you, god knows what would happen to them........and thats why you do it. :)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
2 sections is a big ask. Are you going to get any support from District / Group?

Good luck with the Beavers.

Simon

I have an new-ish ABSL and the GSL assisting at beavers with the chairperson doing some of the group admin (subs/register) and she is also doing her getting started modules so she can become an OH.

craig

Tenderfoot
I was a BSL and a ASL at the same for a while and found that as long as you plan and prep ahead and ask for help when needed you will be fine. Dont be afraid to ask the parents to help out, send out a crb form home with the kids one night and setup a parents rota. Most will be happy to help out and you might get another leader.

Craig.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Guzzi Goose

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2011
London
I've done about 2 years now as a BSL in a newly reformed Colony. Just remember.

Don't let them get too excited or tired it will end in tears but keep them interested and active or it will end in tears...........easy really.

It's difficult to get Glitter out of car seats.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE