What happened to my blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Well I ground my blade from 01 ground flat stock, Heat treated it, Tempered it but tempered it to blue by accident so I threw it in my home fire, Pulled it out of the ashes and ground of the scale to find this...

Video4500m00s.jpg

Video4800m00s.jpg

Video4700m01s.jpg

Video4600m00s.jpg

The blade is all pitted and uneven....Did I burn the carbon out of my blades? If so what should I do?

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I think I would start again, I am not sure what happened when you tried to repair the tempering, looks like it got quite hot there.

How long did you leave it in the fire? did you try and get it to critical or did you try to re temper it?

I tried to anneal it and left it in my home fire over night....the hottest I saw the blade get was to an orange colour!

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I'd have to quench it first, I think the blade will be fine once I clean it up on a grinder.

It's only pitting if I had done damage to the blade the tip would have melted first!
Hopefully all will go well!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If it only went to orange you have not burnt the carbon, in fact if you did not have a blower on it there is no way you could get it to the sort of white heat at which you seriously burn the carbon out.

So you just need to start your HT again, harden, polish, temper, you can do it as many times as you like until it comes good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE