What does the Hex 3 Pole Extension look like...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
'Cos I'm not sure if I have it or not.

Is it just a small silver hollow rod with a black cap at the end? I can't remember if I got that with the Hex or not.

And how does it work if it is? :rolleyes:

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Thanks a lot Jared!

That's not what I have. It looks the same, but without the holes!?

I must have a hunt to see, 'cos I just bought a hiking pole for it today. :)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Me too. I have a small silver allow rod with no holes and a small black cap at one end. Can't figure out how it attaches to the main pole though! I have had it since I bought the hex a few years ago but never had cause to use it. I thought it was a pole extension for use of the hex when you dig down in snow to drop the floor and give you more head-height.

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
a small silver allow rod with no holes and a small black cap at one end

That's it. It's not meant to go on the sprung pole, but on a hiking pole, ski stick or whatever, so that you can leave the rather hefty standard pole at home.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
That's it. It's not meant to go on the sprung pole, but on a hiking pole, ski stick or whatever, so that you can leave the rather hefty standard pole at home.

But the one in the pic that Jared put up has holes in it?

And I seriously cannot attatch it to the hiking pole. It's too small to fit on the end. I wonder are there differences in sizes with the hiking poles? :)

Oct 6, 2006
Yorkshire
The silver hollow rod with the black cap on the end is the extension, mine doesn't have any holes in either, but I have successfully attached it onto the end of my hiking pole - after removing the rubber from the bottom of the hiking pole. :)

Podcast Bob

Hold on them extension poles there are worth money!

Because the new Shangri-La 3 only comes with the centre pole with sprung clip and no walking pole extension. So if you don't want it, offier it casual like, over on Outdoors Magic and get ready to have your hand snapped off at the armpit!

Golite aren't doing an extension pole this year, and there is talk from folks to use a short Alpkit carbon fibre section which you can buy from them, but I haven't worked out how to do it just yet.

The new centre pole I don't think is a flexible as the old one, which would adjust to any height to suit the terrain, but Golite don't seem to be listening to the Bushcraft community needs as much as I would like. I'm having a meeting with them in July and will forward any suggestions for improvement to the Hex3/Shangri-La 3 if you have any.

They have added a tab on the door now which means you can prop it open, but I'm not sure if they have increased the size of the top vent cover to stop the horizonatl rain coming in.

Also anothe top tip; Buy a motorcycle side stand plate (which stops the bikes sinking into the warm tarmac) and use it underneath the pole. It prevents it sinking into mud!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE