what do you take to occupy yourself when its dark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

what do you take to occupy yourself in the dark?

• book-fiction

Votes: 47 21.4%
  • book-non fiction

Votes: 25 11.4%
  • book-referance

Votes: 14 6.4%
  • MP3 Player

Votes: 42 19.1%
  • Cards

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Nothing

Votes: 86 39.1%

• Total voters

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Nothing, enjoy the company of friends and If I am on my own personally I enjoy stillness and silence, not afraid of my own thoughts ;)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Fnarr fnarr snigger chuckle...

OK, in fact I take the iPod. Have established my own tradition of watching an episode of Red Dwarf in the hammock before sleep time...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I voted for nothing, which is what I do take most of the time.
However, sometimes I do take a radio, which is not on your list. Can't survive without 'Any Questions' on Radio 4 if it's a Friday night.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nothing - on solo trips I sleep with the sun, rise with the sun..
Sociable trips there is the chat at the fire.
On multi week trips there are often maps/itineraries to check.
No need for anything else...:)

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I usually mend the fire, make coffee, eat and write in my journal.
The dark lasts long here at this time of year and I usually sleep a long time.
I have never had a book (other than the almanac) with me on a woods trek, and certainly not one of those modern, electronic gadgets you speak about:) .

Tor

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'll take whatever book I'm reading and a reference type book and an mp3 player. Sometimes I've had some critter (an owl once was a nightmare) that keeps making a keep me awake type noise and I have to get sleep or I get migraines the mp3 player with some tunes helps me sleep. If I'm not trying to sleep though the music of the woods is fine by me

Dodger

Oct 4, 2009
UK
Always a radio, can't go without Radio 4...
Hmmm... That's a good idea!

I like reading and I'll often pick up something to read locally to where I'm, staying - e.g. I picked up a copy of Coyote Stories by Mourning Dove in a New Age/hippy store in Joshua Tree before I headed into the National Park last year. There's nothing like reading something with a local flavour while chilling out in your hammock before you fall asleep. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE