What did you do when bcUK was down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What did you do when bcUK went down?

• Go for a walk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sharpen your knives

• Clean your kit

• Read

• Watch TV

• Keep hitting REFRESH every 2 seconds

• Total voters

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I actually ended up talking to my wife, which shocked her a bit as she asked me what was wrong. Thanks to Tone and the rest for getting the site working again.

Brian

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Toddy said:
The ginger nuts is a great recipe. The dough can be made up, put into a poly bag and taken with you when you're going out. Tear off little lumps and cook over a shovel/frying pan/hot stone and you've got biccies to go with the tea :lol: Keeps for days if it's cool, and can be made up in advance and frozen for months......time for a cuppa, I've talked me into it now, maybe dip some in chocolate??? The cinnamon ones aren't half bad either.
Toddy :cup:

Right then. you can't go around tempting us like that and then not give us the recipe !!! :eek:):

Martin

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Kath!!!! :yumyum: ... Go buy some Ginger Nuts! :cup: :hyper: :yumyum:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
did anyone else think it was their account that had been suspended.. i was just sitting their chatting to Leon when bam... the chat room says "this account has been suspended" .... :yikes: what did i do this time?? :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
tomtom said:
did anyone else think it was their account that had been suspended.. i was just sitting their chatting to Leon when bam... the chat room says "this account has been suspended" .... :yikes: what did i do this time?? :rolmao:
Can you imagine how I felt! :yikes: :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
tomtom said:
I felt that way too! :yikes: :lol:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:offtopic:
Ginger nuts
this is a 7P's recipe (prior planning and preparation prevents a **** poor performance) make it up before you go......

*12oz self raising flour,
*4oz butter (margarine or vegenut if you like)
*8os caster or soft brown sugar
*3oz syrup or honey (or the syrup from stem ginger)
*2 T spoonsful of ground ginger (or cinnamon, add some chopped hazelnuts if you use this)
*1 T spoonful of baking powder
*1 beaten egg

Melt butter and warm syrup together.
Sieve all dry ingredients into a bowl and add the syrup and butter, add egg.
Stir well, it'll not look like it's going to have enough liquid to hold, but just keep at it, like pastry.
The end result is a tacky feeling dough.

Heat oven to 160 oC, or over a shovel/stone/whatever when you can hold your hand over the heat for about 5 or 6 seconds. Tear off little bits of the dough about the size of a *big* in its shell hazelnut and roll into a flattish ball. I get 8 of these on a baking sheet. Bake for abut 12 minutes...as soft or as crisp as you like. Remove trays, let cool a bit, remove biscuits to a rack to set firmly (hah! fat chance :p ) makes at least 4 dozen.
Incredibly fattening and too sweet, but as comfort/campfire munchies go they're hard to beat.
The dough can be moulded into a big sausage and wrapped in polythene or tinfoil. It'll keep for a week or so in the fridge or a cold campsite and for months in the freezer.

The recipe is pretty robust, you can substitute just about everything to use what you have available.
I'm thinking of trying a recipe with oats and maybe apricot pieces to see if that'll work as well, and somehow I've got to make the birch bark flour palatable :hmmm:

Shall we a start a 'Munchies' folder?
My brother swears by one that's crushed crisps and peanut butter :shock:

Toddy

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I panicked too...I was thinking on the weekend what i'd do if i returned home to find i'd been banned (dunno why i would be! :naughty: :hurra: ) . I logged on yesterday and it said i had been suspended! :yikes: "What have i done!?!" but then i was settled by the fact that everyone had been suspended too :wink:
I used it as an excuse to go to bed early :approve:

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Brian said:
I actually ended up talking to my wife, which shocked her a bit as she asked me what was wrong. Thanks to Tone and the rest for getting the site working again.

Brian

Thanks to Tony and gang for helping Brian improve his relationship with his wife...! :wink:

:eek:):

I just got a bit confused...sat looking at the screen in a dazed sort of way...and then thought...oh. I suddenly felt very cut off ffrom a community that I've come to feel part of.

Very glad it's all back.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
:lol: I did everything on the list except the last one. Even did a couple bushcrafty things not on the list.

Needless to say, I was concerned when I got the message that the site I was attempting to contact had been delt a blow with extreme prejudice. :yikes: :cry: :nono: I didn't believe em. :wink:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
tomtom said:

Yeah, I figured I must've said something pretty stoopid to get suspended. :yikes:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
:biggthump Talked to Adi and Kath (had a good whine) and called the States finding out what the problem was (after having a good whine!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE