What bushcraft stuff have you done this week?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Went on a foraging walk, tried out a new hammock set up, finished another lovespoon, made a couple of those woven twig platters from Toddys thread, sorted out which trees are due to become firewood this autumn, wove some new shoots in the hedge to make them grow across some gaps, sharpened some blades, tried sourcing more steel for fire lighting kits, Aquire a couple of old fur coats to turn into rugs/seat covers....

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Walking/camping on the Sw coastal path with SWMBO
Cutting down branches off an ash tree

But mainly:

Gardening (does this count?) - because I've got 2 weeks off school and want to get my veggies in for the year.

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
At the weekend I joined DirtyKarlos for a canoe trip on Pocklington canal, where on we saw (and he photographed two buzzards, some swans and a heron.)
We fired up my ghillie kettle a couple of times for cofee and green tea (why does everything taste better out of doors, prticularly from a tin cup?)
And I made my usual appalling attempt at feather sticks!

Since then, I have been getting used to using my billhook for cutting and splitting. As well as making my usual botch job of feathering wood!
And I fired up the kettle again for the kids to see how it works (and because its my toy, and I want to play with it!)

There you go, I'm not as Bushcrafty as some on these fora but I try.

Cheers, Alan.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
  • Spent the weekend camping at the Cornwall RV 2009 with friends & family, my younger brothers first overnight camp :) God he's a handful! :eek:
  • Bought a bloody big parachute at the RV and then had fun with a friend trying to set it up in the Garden.
  • Cooked a knife blank from Bernie Garland in my oven for 45mins at 220 degrees celsius.
  • Went for a wee wild-food walk with the mrs, more to ID than to pick.
  • Turned a whole pair of jeans into charcloth
  • Knocked up a couple of new hearth-boards out of some nice ivy-wood.
  • Gave a homemade wool underblanket to a friend.
  • Started to plan our next local gathering in Cornwall.
  • Started reading a new book: "Primitive Living, SelfSufficiency and Survival Skills - Thomas J. Elpel"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Walked and foraged :D
Gathered broom for dye.
Gathered birch bark for punnet weaving.
Dug up dandelions and used them for coffee, really bitter :yuck:
Used the dandelion tops for dye (greens and yellows)
Made cordage from the rushes I pulled a month ago.
Bushcraft first aid course taught by Sniper at Comriecroft :D
Stitched a silk liner into my sleeping bag :approve:
'Seeded' a likely looking patch of kind of bare forest floor with lesser celandine bulbs :)
Played around making feather sticks from a dead wych elm.
Wove a couple of small baskets.
Sewing a wool bush shirt just now.

cheers,
Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nothing much more bushy than a few walks in the woods and fields with Sam and the little wifey.

Mind you, I was able to show her the first woodpecker she'd ever seen so that was a nice little touch :)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Walked and foraged :D
Gathered broom for dye.
Gathered birch bark for punnet weaving.
Dug up dandelions and used them for coffee, really bitter :yuck:
Used the dandelion tops for dye (greens and yellows)
Made cordage from the rushes I pulled a month ago.
Bushcraft first aid course taught by Sniper at Comriecroft :D
Stitched a silk liner into my sleeping bag :approve:
'Seeded' a likely looking patch of kind of bare forest floor with lesser celandine bulbs :)
Played around making feather sticks from a dead wych elm.
Wove a couple of small baskets.
Sewing a wool bush shirt just now.

cheers,
Toddy

Wow that's impressive! Just out of curiosity, do you have a "day-job"? 'Cause if you're doing all that on top of a full time job, you must be super(wo)man! That's a lot of activity in a week! You are my new BcUK idol. ;)

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
This morning I did something I have wanted to try for some time. Thanks for this thread, very motivating. Dandelion Fritters: http://www.natureskills.com/dandelion_recipe.html
The other big one for me this week would be joining this forum. I'm not into computers so much, but I find the opportunity to share ideas with like minded folks, half a world away, too interesting to pass up. Now I'll go outside and enjoy the rest of the day; enjoy it a little more, thanks Bushcraft UK!
Clint

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Been on the allotment most week, full sowing and planting season in full swing. Slowed down by the necessity to run after the little fella every 45 seconds.

Still, made birchbark firelighters, which are lovely and elegant and a nice way to carry tinder without it getting everywhere.

Sainty

Nomad
Jan 19, 2009
St Austell
Just got back from some woods in our village. Helping a work colleague try out a hammock in anticipation of a little trip he is doing soon.

An unexpected and welcome after work excursion. :)

Martin

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
whilst accompanying an engineer fixing a pay and display machine i'm responsible for i took out my 'food for free' pocketbook and id'ed a few edible plants.
i managed to spot hairy bittercress right by the machine but i was too chicken to try it so i got my mate who was passing to try a bit first lol
we got some strange looks from the engineer but to be honest we didnt care!

L

lee22

whilst accompanying an engineer fixing a pay and display machine i'm responsible for i took out my 'food for free' pocketbook and id'ed a few edible plants.
i managed to spot hairy bittercress right by the machine but i was too chicken to try it so i got my mate who was passing to try a bit first lol
we got some strange looks from the engineer but to be honest we didnt care!

im a landscape gardener/maintenance bod and oddly enough i carry the same book in my work rucksack for exactly the same purpous, quite often go for a wonder at lunch :)
went bunny hunting monday but didnt manage to bag any :( but it gave me a chance to practice some plant id'ing and wildlife spotting/watching ... no bunnies for the pot but plenty of deer and birds to observe, also got to practice my silent walking through some woods and boy do i need the practice
lee

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Started and finished the handle on my Lads new bushcraft knife , got the blade from Paul 123 on here and the oak for the scales and made a reasonable job

was pleased when he said it looked just like the ones he has seen in the mags and on here

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
we spent the long weekend just gone in some woods near the south coast. we managed to persuade the womenfolk to spend the weekend living under a parachute rigged as a tipi. the weather was, changeable. but as we were packing up to go it cleared up nice and bright so i managed a couple of pics.

the tipi with the raised door on the right.
P4130475.jpg

mrs sargey packing up.
P4130476.jpg

a bit of detail of the panels folded back over each other to get the shape right.
P4130477.jpg

there was loads of room inside for the four of us "growed-ups" plus the puppy and a barbie by way of a fireplace.

we built a rustic bench for relaxing by the fire using only a saw, axe, and a stack of different knives :lmao:

cheers, and.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
A week is a long time.
This morning tracked down a Bluetit to its nest, tracked a Song Thrush, a Mistle Thrush and Blackcap:D from their song. Checked up on my Wrens:D. Took and planted three Willow Cuttings when I happened to stop for a moment. Spooted the longest straight bit of Hawthorn I ever saw, must have been 7 feet and 2" round. Had Bullrush shoots, Goose Grass tips and Hawthawn tips after my museli. Tried a few young dock but was a bit too bitter. Checked the Horsradish spot for any signs yet.

I got to a four foot fence climbed up without using my hands:), balanced on the top and walked for about 10 ft and then jumped off the top. I felt about 10 again:lmao:. I hope nobody saw me.:D

A great start to a splendid day.:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE