What bushcraft activities do you do when you're in a group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just wondering if there's any crafts or skills that you tend to do when there's a group (two or more) rather than as an individual? I tend to do some bushcraft stuff when I'm on my own but often the skills side of things happens when there's a group where it's a more shared experience...

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
When I meet with an old friend we often try and ‘craft’ a fancy seat or bench just for fun. This is made with any foraged materials and extra items collected from the foreshore. It has in the past incorporated an old lobster pot and fishing netting.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
When we meet at weekends at the Suffolk group, we tend to spend the Saturday afternoon practicing different skills. In the past we have done some flintknapping, char cloth/coal/punk making, traps, shelter building, Bhutanese bow making, cordage, some forging, plant/animal id, tracking, flint and steel and friction fire making leather work, map reading and of course spoon carving. we also do a lot of camp chores, food prep and cooking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The polar nights are very long and very cold. In an igloolik with the kudlik burning for heat and light, the temperature might rise to +4C ("tropical")!
Inuit people play string games, I only know of figures done with two people but I have seen a few with three that I don't know how to do.

I want to teach my grandchildren to do these if this Covid thing ever calms down.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The polar nights are very long and very cold. In an igloolik with the kudlik burning for heat and light, the temperature might rise to +4C ("tropical")!
Inuit people play string games, I only know of figures done with two people but I have seen a few with three that I don't know how to do.

I want to teach my grandchildren to do these if this Covid thing ever calms down.
Is that what we call cats cradle?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Mostly foraging brewing up, and a bit of carving practice if I find a nice bit of wood. I made pot hangers the other day, foraged some greens for tea, and sat watching the river and planning my veg patch for some while.
Lovely afternoon sat in the sun , listening to the river gurgle and watching the wildlife around me, while sipping a nice cup of tea.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was just wondering if there's any crafts or skills that you tend to do when there's a group (two or more) rather than as an individual? I tend to do some bushcraft stuff when I'm on my own but often the skills side of things happens when there's a group where it's a more shared experience...

Whereas I enjoy the occasional 'group share' type experience there can sometimes be a bit of a stress about making sure people are active and learning something; sometimes, just sharing the environment, the chat, the wildlife etc. should be enough.

However, to answer your question, one of the activities I will usually try to include is lashing (square, diagonal, parallel .... ) it seems it's a neglected but vital skill to me. It always surprises me how many people have not been shown how to do good, tight, reliable lashing.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Nowadays most people avoid me and I doubt that anyone would like to go for camping with me, because I became really unbearable.

But in the old times we used to sing a lot and play the guitar.

Reactions: packalot

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
No, more the lack of good manners and soap. And I am just 50!

I wonder how weird I will become when I am 80...

;)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My brother even drives from Berlin to Austria and walks as high as possible to assure that nobody follows him.

On the peak he crafts a coffee with his Italian can and a little gas stove.

Reactions: arthem and packalot

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
i think i like your brother. :)

i usually find somewhere well off the prepared trails, then go a little further, then hunker down to cook up a cup of tea and enjoy a bit of spooncarving or suchlike. no company required.

that said i do have a couple Swedish friends that i like to go out with once in a while. they don't feel the need to talk when there is nothing that needs saying. that's a very important bushcraft skill IMO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE