What about a meetup??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
OK as the topic header states who's up for a meet up next year?? We hold several a year for 1 of my other intrests airguns, and was wondering if you lot would be intrested in 1. All we would really need is a field with some form of wood ideally, the programme of events would be up to poeple with what they wanted.

Just 1 thought, and that is if we could get someone like Ray Mears to do a `teach in' / tutorial.

Just a thought
Simon

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
Good idea,

I could possibly do the autumn, otherwise it will have to be next year.
Who else is up for it? And where would be a good place?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent idea, thanks Simon

Depending on when everyone would like to get together it should be possible to get some woodland to use and there should be no problem getting some land if we cannot find woods. Possibilities are - west Wales, Isle of Wight (Phill Grant may know more about this) The lakes and maybe Norfolk (Jeremy may be able to help with this.

Another option is to meet at the wilderness gathering in September, I will post more info about this in the next day or so.

Tony

A

Anonymous

I'd be up for that, add Galloway Forest park as a possible location.

Will

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi Tony, I forgot to sign in before :(

The area of Galloway forest park near me has some realy great terrain, Lochs, rivers, streams, waterfalls, good mix of broadleaf woodland and coniferous forest, hills, mountains and open moorland, Ive even found a ruined castle on my travels.

It is however owned be the Forestry Comission, I wrote to them about a year and a half ago asking how I go about getting permission, explaining "Bushcraft" as best I could. They said;

"While we do not permit or promote camping anywhere other than dedicated areas, we are sympathetic to the individual or small group who wish to wild camp and spend a few nights in the hills."

They gave me the usual stuff about carefull with fires, countryside code, etc..

So I think something could be worked out, if the interest is there.

Will

harry

BCUK Test Account
Jun 18, 2003
UK
With enough notice I can get nearly anywhere for a meet up. No suggestions of where though. In the middle would probably be best

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Sounds good to me.

But, as always, the location is the fly in the ointment.

Whose going to organise it? Arrange a site and a programe ect? When is another question.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Also an air rifle shoot would be interesting.

As for tutorials ....... Ray Mears......... whoa, a flying pig just drifted past my window.

A

Anonymous

They are very iffy about who they let camp on the Chase many fires abandoned and burnt out cars etc. The Forestry Commission may be ameniable if approached by a group, or you could try the Scout Camp at Beaudesert, but again they are a bit iffy when it comes to groups outside the Scouts/ Guides (insurance etc maybe we could get together a policy similar to the third party pilicy offered to airgunners?). Just a few ideas. :)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Many airgun clubs have access to/own areas of woodland, small spineys etc, which they use for field target shooting. Maybe they would be ameinable to some sort of hire/two way swap?

Dave

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Anonymous said:
.... (insurance etc maybe we could get together a policy similar to the third party pilicy offered to airgunners?). Just a few ideas. :)

ummm yes insurance would be a help. A couple of farmers have said the same to me.... 'If I was insured for it I could have fires'.... problem is trying to find a policy or a sympathetic insurance company to understand what we want as bushcrafters..... some sort of liability cover for damage including fires.....
Any ideas folks?
Ed

D

Diff

Perkins and slade do some unusual activity insurance. I can get the number if you like.

mac

Oct 28, 2003
durham
I'M UP FOR IT!
Deciding a location?
How about deciding this initially, making it more convenient based on the location of the majority but not so far away for the rest (2hrs less travelling time makes a big difference for instance).
If every one are literally spread equally far and wide then somewhere central might then be better.
And if we've got the situation where for instance out of 20 people, 12 live roughly closer to a horizontal line with London and 8 live roughly closer to a line with Morpeth(Northumberland) we could maybe have two annual meets where everyone can still have an opportunity to attend one or both!
How's that sound from a statistical or problem solving point of view?
Funny thing is, i'm not a statistician nor have I ever been able to do the Rubiks cube!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE