Wetterlings Axe manufacturer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Folks is this correct that Wetterlings are no longer manufacturing there famous axes? The company has folded?

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
The axe seems way overpriced and the bobble head ridiculous.
I'm sorry I don't always get sarcasm, the emojis suggest jest but I'm not sure?

Please tell me people don't really want his bobble head..?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
KenThis, the bobblehead is perfect to be fixed on the dashboard of your Landie!

Overpriced axes? Swedish and handmade. Will be expensive by definition.

Company has been bought by one of the Gränsfors people, but I am unsure if the two businesses are connected.

I want a bobble midriff Ray Mears! I like him, we share body form!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The axe seems way overpriced and the bobble head ridiculous.
I'm sorry I don't always get sarcasm, the emojis suggest jest but I'm not sure?

Please tell me people don't really want his bobble head..?

Yes KenThis, very tongue in cheek! Having never met of course you would have no idea that I don't go for such trash; I wouldn't buy the bobble head either :) (that was sarcasm :) )
Seriously though, I would never spend that much money on an axe; it won't do the job any better than any of my late 19th century restored tools.

Reactions: KenThis and Leshy

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, correct. I went on the Wetterlings swedish site and they write in early 2017 they will stop producing the axes under the Wetterlings name.

Seems to be a bestseller, Gränsfors Bruks axes, as this is a serious expansion!

Hults Bruk, a major Swedish tool and ax maker ( axes made in Hultsbruk) is about to introduce axes that are more handmade.

Seems every bushcrafter worldwide is buying exprnsive axes!

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Such a shame that Wetterlings have ceased production of their own axes. Did anyone notice how the closure last year also seemed to occur at the same time as Gransfors ramped up the price of their axes. Perhaps it's due to the cost of materials and coincidental but you never know!

Either way, I'm very fond of my Outdoor Axe. I guess, over time it will become a collectors piece!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We had quite a few Wetterlings axes go through our hands back in mid 2000's and they were great for the money, they were substantially cheaper than the GB stuff and good quality, it's a shame they are basically gone. Steel prices have gone up and that's had a big impact on prices but there's been a lot of price increase because bushcraft and the outdoor living groups have grown and there's a lot more demand that seems to sustain these prices, people will pay them. It's like Mora knives, huge price hikes.

I lament Wetterlings being taken over, it's not good for us the consumer...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Try the Hults Bruks axes. I bought one a couple of weks ago, but have only used it a couple of times tp split a bucketful of oversized logs.
Works fine.
I am no expert or carver though!

Hand on heart, there must be several quality manufacturers in the world, just maybe more machine made?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE