Wetsuits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Not sure its i'm posting this in the right section but i'm going to have a go at surfing next July /Aug [with 10 yr old lad]and looking at getting a wetsuit, anybody advise what the minimum thickness should be to be comfortable and any recommendations,cheers.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Depends on where you are going, if your heading south then a 3mm will do, depending on your tolerance for cold (and the weather) you may get away with out one. The most important thing with getting a wetsuit is to get one that fits properly, if it's loose it wont work and if it's too tight you'll find it difficult to move in. For the 10 year old I would suggest buying it nearer the time to ensure it fits properly.
Fortunately modern neoprene is a lot more flexible than years ago which makes getting the fit right a lot easier.
You might want to consider a rash vest as well (definitely needed if you go without a wetsuit).

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Thanks were heading to Cornwall ,Devon area camping for a week good point about suit fitting well,i'll be adding a few pounds myself[to combat the winter chill of course]so best to wait before we go ,thanks Pastymuncher.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks were heading to Cornwall ,Devon area camping for a week good point about suit fitting well,i'll be adding a few pounds myself[to combat the winter chill of course]so best to wait before we go ,thanks Pastymuncher.

If you are new to it you'll be expending lots of energy paddling rather than sitting at the line up all day waiting for the biog one. I find a 3mm shorty is plenty down south in the summer. Rash vest good idea. Decathlon good value (go team triboard) or occasionally aldi have 3mm shorties in for less than £20

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
pretty sure i have a 5mm torso, 4mm legs and 3mm arms. like to stay in the water for hours. as they guys said above get a decent rash vest and you can layer up. for the lad id hire as he will be growing out of it in a season but with a decent rash vest he will stay warm in a hire suit. if the suit is too thick all over you'll spend all your energy bending it to paddle!

if you are learning then you are going to spend a lot of time fighting the water to get out there - a lesson definately helps. i found boots & gloves make a big difference and when it's really cold a gimp mask is legend!

enjoy im jealous - im not in the sea again until the back end of november this year!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE