West Winds ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Has anyone delt with West Winds? I'm thinking of treating myself to one of their Ventile jackets for Christmas, but as I'm a "Well Built" chap (50" chest), I'm wondering if they keep stock of the larger sizes.

Cheers

Shaun

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know several people who have. All their stuff is made to order, so sizes are never a problem. Quality also seems very good, as is the designs. Service is pretty awfull, people waiting up to twelve weeks and then they sent out the wrong product, incredibly difficult to get hold of the chap to find out whats happening. A shame because the kit is very good.
Neil1

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I ordered a double layer plain OG S.A.S smock from them in January this year. Initially I was told the order would take approx 4 weeks, however it eventually arrived mid March! The one thing I would advise is that you state very clearly your EXACT requirements - my smock initially arrived with a lurid bright blue zip (I was not a happy bunny!). So do make it clear whether you want buttons/zips/velcro/press studs etc and the colour you want them in. They did replace the zip with an OG one, which again I ended up being without the jacket for about a further month.

All said and done, after the problems were sorted out. I am delighted with the jacket and the quality of it. I believe they have started supplying Silvermans again with plain single layer OG S.A.S smocks if this is any help.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I had/have an over head smock of theirs which I've used for years beyond number!! They are good, although I recently ordered a new shirt from them and they had changed the pattern - new one was crap compared to the old ones design.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I am a student with a very low budget and the ventile shirt is the cheapest piece of ventile clothing I have seen. If I were to sew on a zip, would it make a good jacket?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
To be honest, Pete, I think you'd do better starting from scratch than attempting to convert a shirt into a jacket. For one thing it has no handwarmer pockets, and when I had a look at one of the Westwinds shirts at a shop in Chester (can't recall the name of the place now, sorry) I wasn't terribly impressed with the breast pocket design. No expansion pleats, and they seemed to be sewn rather flat, which either reduces capacity or else means that things you put in the pockets tend to stick into your flesh. If you do opt to convert the shirt then you'd probably want to buy at least a full size larger than your usual size, but I'm really doubtful that a conversion could ever be wholly satisfactory.

I'd advise either looking for second-hand garments or taking an old coat as a pattern and buying some Ventile material, perhaps even offcuts or cosmetic seconds. Even paying someone else to sew it up into a coat would probably cost less than buying new, and you'd have the opportunity to customise the features to suit yourself. If you intend to use the Ventile for a waterproof then go for the minimum number of seams you can manage, without compromising fit and mobility.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A mate of mine buys cheap army surplus cammo jackets - about a fiver - and sprays them with thompsons weather shield, pongs for a few days but seems to make it nicely waterproof.

Dave

Jaymondo

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2003
East Sussex
I have a West Winds smock that I picked up from Silvermans and have virtually lived in for all of my outdoor excursions, it's been great. I was thinking of getting their trousers. Has anyone had any exprerience with these? A mate of mine also suggested trying Snowsled clothing. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Jay.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
If of any use the below sells Ventile fabric. When I enquired, if I remember correctly I think it was £16 a square metre:

TALBOT WEAVING (CHORLEY) LTD.
UNIT 11, GROVE MILL,
THE GREEN, ECCLESTON,
CHORLEY, LANCASHIRE,
PR7 5TZ

TEL: +44 (0) 1257 453132 FAX: +44 (0) 1257 453324
Email us:info@ventile.co.uk

They had far more colours than places like West Winds stock.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I bought a ventile smock from Snowsled at the beginning of October. Ordered it on the Monday and it was in my hot little hands on the Friday.
I found the Lady in the office to be very helpful. I'm very impressed with the smock, it's hardly ever off my back. The only drawback is no map pocket.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My Ventile smock is also from Snowsled, and like Martin I found the service and the garment to be first rate. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The only very minor fault is that the nylon cord they use on the hood comes untied all the time.

Incidentally, Martin, mine has a map pocket. Although they don't really advertise it much Snowsled will make the smock in several variations, so I went for a large front kangaroo pocket and added Velcro cuffs. It does shorten the front zip, though.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
bigjackbrass said:
My Ventile smock is also from Snowsled, and like Martin I found the service and the garment to be first rate. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion. The only very minor fault is that the nylon cord they use on the hood comes untied all the time.

Incidentally, Martin, mine has a map pocket. Although they don't really advertise it much Snowsled will make the smock in several variations, so I went for a large front kangaroo pocket and added Velcro cuffs. It does shorten the front zip, though.
Now he tells me!!! :banghead: :AR15firin :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE