West Highland Way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
I have completed the WHW twice already the first time when I was about 20 in 6 days with a group of friends, the 2nd time when I was about 27 in 4 and a half days with the missus. I am now at 35 considering doing it again but with more of a challenge. In October during my holidays I am thinking about attempting it in 3 days, while camping fairly light, using a 35 L rucksack+bivi bag etc.

My aim is to walk at a pace of about 3 mph for a duration of 11 hours a day for the 3 days this should get me through the 96 miles.

It will be the second day that will be the killer. I am aiming for three days as a personal challenge but will if feeling the stress of the pace too much slow down to 3 and a half days walking.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? Any hints or practical advice is welcome.

Cheers

Jamie

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Doesn't sound as though it will be particularly pleasant! :eek:

My advice would be do the opposite ...... slow it all down and take 2 weeks to do it maybe bagging a few hills on the way. Much more enjoyable than a head down slog! :D

If you are going to give it big guns then you could try incorporating the Caledonian Challenge into it? Its 54 miles of the WHW in 24hrs you could then take a full day off and do the last 40 miles on day 3!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
When I was in the Royal Engineers section of the OTC at university during the summer of 1980, we spent our summer camp at Crianlarich building a footbridge for the (then being constructed) West Highland Way. It was a wooden (Galloway Design) footbridge over a small gully and was still standing when my family and I went up there in (I think) 1999.

I am fairly certain that it is the footbridge marked on the OS maps at Grid Ref. NN 364 259.

Probably not very interesting to anyone but me, but make me feel good to tell people that I once helped build a bridge in Scotland.

Geoff

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Doesn't sound as though it will be particularly pleasant! :eek:

My advice would be do the opposite ...... slow it all down and take 2 weeks to do it maybe bagging a few hills on the way. Much more enjoyable than a head down slog! :D

If you are going to give it big guns then you could try incorporating the Caledonian Challenge into it? Its 54 miles of the WHW in 24hrs you could then take a full day off and do the last 40 miles on day 3!

Exactly, campout/bothy/howff - howfs at rob roys cave and osssians in Glencoe, bothy at Doune and bag a few peaks (Lomond, Cruach Ardrain,the Bookle, Grey Corries). Take your time, watch some stags rutting. Do a bit of scrambling, gorge walking (glencoe)

Nick

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
A word of advice from someone who tried to do, at 37, what he could do at 27. Don't be silly!:slap: :D

Earlier this year I tried to do a section of the Pennine way, 47 mile in 3 days. I did it in 2 when I was in the Infantry. :AR15firin

Okay, I'm 2 stone heavier and not anywhere near as fit, but this time I was probably only carrying a quarter of the weight on by back.;)

4 days into the walk I admitted defeat and called SWMBO, 7 mile from my finish. I was on my chinstrap.

Moral of my story:

1. I must admit I'm not 27 anymore.
2. Make sure you're reading the map the right way up - I wandered off on the Kirklees Way for nearly half a day. Over confident, you see.:twak:
3. Next time bed down for the night, don't call the wife, don't endure 3 weeks of merciless ribbing from her and all our family.

Hawkeye - you sound a lot fitter than me. I wish you luck. ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree a challenge is all well and good but you have to know your limits and unless your very fit 96miles in 3 days over the WHW is going to be a hell of a TAB!
I walked from Malaig to Callender when I was 14yrs old with my old man over a 10 day period which was one of the best walks I have ever done.
Why waste all that wonderful scenery hanging out of your backside and on your chinstrap!

I competed in a race run by the Royal Signals(Army) called the Lanyard Trophy it consisted of marching 40miles which had to be completed with a 40lb bergen which was weighed at the start & finish (So actually with water and food onboard you would expect to start the race with approx 50 - 60lb).
This race was usually completed between 8 - 12hrs depending on the fitness of the team.
Each team had 10 men and had to be completed with no less than 8.

I took part in this race 3 times and wouldn't even contemplate it now.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I could never do that walk fella no where near as fit as you sound.
But what I say is go for it!!!
Yea you could take 2 weeks or 2 years to do it but it sounds like you are after a challenge and thats what you have got.
Good on you, sometimes we need a good kick in the butt and get out of our comfort zone.
Anyway you could always go back in the summer and do it at a more leisurely pace,that way you go on two walks.:)
Dave

Hawkeye The Noo

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Dunoon, Argyll
For me it has always been in the head rather than in the body. I competed in a race with a PTI and beat him. He could out run me, do more pushups than me, more sit ups than me but he could not understand why I matched him step by step on a cross country tab carrying 90 lbs and he had 75 lbs I completed 4 miles in 59 minutes and he did it in just over 60 minutes. What made me get started on this thought was that I walked 25 miles for charity round a track in 9 hours about two weeks ago. I realised that I missed tabbing and wanted to do this for myself. the WHW is a walk I have completed twice befora admitedly years ago and at a slower pace for the enjoyments sake. I always wanted to do it at a faster pace and have decided to do it now before my fitness levels slip so far as to make it a stupid option.

I am motivating myself with the promise that if I complete it in three days then I am still young enough to buy myself a pare of powerizers. They look a lot of fun.

The bothy option sounds good however, however I will not use hostels or b and bs

it feeels too much like cheating myself.

Cheers for your input

ps I will take a drink from my hipflask when I stand on a certain bridge;)

Jamie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well, if you want a challenge, how about finishing the west highland way in fort william and then carrying on and doing the cape wrath trail, supposed to be the uk's toughest trail, its nearly 200 miles long. I was going to do it a couple of years ago and have the book and all the 7 maps needed to complete it, but I never got around to it... http://www.capewrathtrail.co.uk/ Two parts of the trail, you are completely on your own for 3 days at a time. I did a thread on it on here if your interested...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That sounds fair enough, and if you think you have it in (which I wish I still had!) then good on you. I hope you make it.
PS. on the Lanyard Trophy in 1997 I was on the winning team and we made the 40 mile in just under 8hrs.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE