Wellies with good stiff soles?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Any recommendations for wellies with "walking boot" type soles?

Sometimes the ground in "my" woods is covered by a series of lakes and I'm forced into wellies to go bimbling. Trouble is I suffer from painful big toe joints and I need a good stiff soled boot to be comfortable.

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
What about fishing wellies, im sure iv seen some in tackle shops with linings like 'rigger' boots.
Or a wading style boot with a gore-tex sock? keep your feet dry and warm im sure?

Whats your budget

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have used the Tretorn Sarek boots for years, and been fairly content. When my last pair died I got a pair of Viking brand (the Trophy model) ones this autumn. They appear to give even better support than the Sareks, and fits better for my feet (there must be a duck somewhere in my ancestry, even if my mother denies everything).

Sarek:
tretorn.sarek.jpg

Trophy:
13767.jpg

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I wear a pair of Dubarry's....
They are quite pricey but hand-made waterproof and breathable leather and designed for shooting, outdoors life etc etc

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have a look round the web and have a look at them.

I used to have a pair of waders for wildfowling which I cut down to use as wellies but a friends dog ate one of them.:rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Muck Boots are worth a look at, I think they do a couple of strengthened models with reinforced soles. The Humber is one I think.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Muck boots really good if you have joint probs/arthritis etc. Got a friend with rheumatoid who swears by them - they are comfortable and warm.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Muck Boots mate! I've a pair of Avon's that I walk the dog in - good Vibram sole & pretty warm as they're neoprene. Use 'em for camping & fishing as well. Have a look on the web as prices vary.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Muck Boots are worth a look at, I think they do a couple of strengthened models with reinforced soles. The Humber is one I think.

I have this model. The sole is definitely stiff and they are very warm in winter but also good at wicking sweat away. The grip on the sole is good and they are the most comfortable wellie I've put on.

However. . . they are very heavy. I personally wouldn't recommend them for walking for much over an hour unless you don't mind the weight. They also wear out the heels of my socks very quickly. Apart from that they are an excellent boot, the best I've owned.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
have a look at the Dunlop safety wellies.

http://www.arco.co.uk/browse/Footwear/Wellingtons

I owned a pair of these. They lasted a long time but they aren't particularly comfortable, the grip on the soles isn't great and mud tends to cling to the soles. They are also cold in winter and hot in summer. However for the price they are a good solid boot but more suited to gardening or construction work than walking IMO. The quality of Muck Boots is far superior but then the price is much higher too.

May 14, 2010
Pembrokeshire
Im with everyone else MUCK BOOTS are the way ahead, I usually hate wellies and last about 10 minutes before i cant take the pain from feeling evreystone through the bottom, I now live in my muckboots through the winter with no complaints

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Beleive it or not, I've been using the same pair of Dunlop safety Wellies for 20 years. They oulasted every other pair of Hunters etc.

As the sole is almost worn flat now, and offered no grip on the "7 on a beach" jaunt, they'll be getting buried with full honours sometime next week.

I too am looking for a new pair - I can't beleive how good the boots on the Arco site look, it seems Wellie technology has moved on a bit.

Grallocher

May 14, 2010
Scotland
Muck Boot Tay Sports are great for a wider fitting sole, I use these if out in cold and ice for days on end, otherwise its my neoprene Le Chameau's
For comfort and fitting they are second to none, for outlasting a pair of "Dunnies" you previously owned.. well ...jury is out on that one

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Yes Tay Sport Muck boots are the way to do - the sole is a real walking boot sole, unlike the Avons (I think) which are thinner. I wear mine for rough shooting, wading through heather grouse moors, bogs, deep snow

NS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE