Welcome! Join the converststion and say hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 6, 2010
uk
www.coastalsurvival.com
Welcome to our Coastal Survival page here at the amazing BCUK forum.

Hopefully we can let you know a bit about what we do, who we are and what we can offer....

Please say hello and fell free to start a conversation or thread on a subject or two youd like to know more about....

We are here to help!

Cheers

Fraser
coastalsurvival.com

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Met a few on Yeovil March arron who was talking to you is one. Met young lass who was very interested. Does forest school and wants to expand knowledge. So I think there are a few who are waking up. Recommended you to them +one other who I didn't get name but I know where he lives so am trying to send you a few customers!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hi, last spring some friends and I went for a camp near Porlock. The kids went crabbing off the harbour wall and we caught loads of small crabs. Obviously we put them back but I'm wondering if they are edible and if it would be legal to take them. Most were quite small and obviously not worth eating, but now and then we got one about 5 or 6 inches across. We are planning another trip in may to forage along the shingle and marshes there. We found samphire last year which was tasty. Nobody liked the boiled sea beet tho. Was it cooking it wrong? Thanks for any help.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The perennial Sea Beet = Beta vulgaris? I've got some seed to plant this week! Hope it germinates.
Of a strong-flavored cultivated purple variety here, I trim and steam the green blades of the leaves.
I can eat great quantities with a little olive oil, balsamic and salt. Even crushed smoked salts are good.
I think that boiling the leaves might have leached a lot of the flavors out of the greens.

I dice and steam the roots and eat the same way. Butter, salt and a dash of vinegar works, as well.
Using 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar as juice, I boil, peel, slice and put up jars of beet roots as simple pickles.
Keep some leaf petiole stumps and skinny root so they don't bleed to death in the boil.

Maybe it depends on genetic sense of taste or maybe what you get brought up, eating.
I like beets very much, tops and bottoms. To me, red and yellow are blah. Deep purple are #1.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'd still like to know the legal size that I can take a crab at in the UK . If anyone knows how many inches or cm it needs to be please let me know. Thanks.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I'd still like to know the legal size that I can take a crab at in the UK . If anyone knows how many inches or cm it needs to be please let me know. Thanks.
It would depend on the species, size for edible brown crab is 130mm across the shell I believe, spidercrab is 130mm for the male and 120mm for a female, shorecrab and velvet swimmers dont have a size limit, and they are best eaten just after peeling their old shell, although you can collect small shore crabs and boil them up with limpets etc to make a broth.
There May! be local variations on the size limits for brown and spider crabs, might be worth checking with the local council to avoid later embarrassment.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Oops, Sorry only just noticed the date on this. My Bad, Im sure youve already researched this and know all this. Foot in mouth time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE