Weird and useful ebay deals thread :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Reactions: Toddy

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I think this might qualify. I have been looking for some cheap protective pouches for various semi delicate items such as my Epigas mini lantern. Everything that seems to be purpose built for this sort of thing seems to cost silly money. I have recently noticed these though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380843877055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They come in various sizes and look like they will fit the bill nicely.

Nice find. Just ordered one for a UCO mini.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I think this might qualify. I have been looking for some cheap protective pouches for various semi delicate items such as my Epigas mini lantern. Everything that seems to be purpose built for this sort of thing seems to cost silly money. I have recently noticed these though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380843877055?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

They come in various sizes and look like they will fit the bill nicely.

John,

Great spot. I've been looking for something like this for ages.

Cheers,
Matt.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself is one of those lean wiry fellows who never put on any weight, and any he does he walks off doing about 10miles a day.
I nearly took the very small, but stuck with the small size, I reckon it'd do over a Winter pullover if needbe.

I'll let you know what he thinks of it :) I was so pleased to see ventile in something other than OD or bright orange :cool:

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Well, I bought one of those Ventile jackets, I'm pretty much on the cusp of large to extra large and the biggest size they had on Amazon was large so I got that.
For a start off, its lighter grey than I thought, no problem but worth mentioning all the same.
No zips on it and popper buttons and lots of Velcro up the front, might ask my lovely wife to sew a zip up it and maybe a few buttons on the pockets cos I detest velcro on pockets as it means putting something in a pocket is a two handed operation.
Elastic... the waist was elasticated to within an inch of my life, I've cut that out with a seam ripper and will be installing a bit of a drawcord instead.
The hood is detachable which is good for me cos I prefer my Lowe Alpine Mountain cap to any hood I've ever had on a jacket.
The material must have some DWR coating cos I put about a pint of water in the upside down hood and not only did it not come though, when I tipped it out it wasn't even wet.
Oh, the pockets aren't very big. I've got big mitts and getting my hands in is a bit tight.
I'll see how it gets on in actual rain,I don't expect it to be totally waterproof but am hoping for good breathable and knocking on for waterproof.
Is it Ventile? Dunno, but it's a lot more waterproof than any other cotton itel I've ever had so I reckon I'm ok with it.

In short, its not perfect but it was 29 quid, Looks OK to me and seems a good base for a kicking about and walking the dog jacket.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
£22 for the second smallest size for Himself.... and as @demographic said, it's a grey sort of blue. Quite nice actually, sort of muted enough to disappear into the woodlands or waterside.

It's like no ventile I've ever handled before. It's quite heavy 'looking' but it's not actually heavy. It's waterproof, but not windproof he says :dunno: Might be because as mentioned above there are no zips....on t'other hand, there's nothing to jam, so that's a win.
The pockets are really small. You'd not get a lot in them, and definitely not for shoving hands in out of the weather. Seem very secure somehow though.

Himself is a neat 32" waist and the elastic at the waistband isn't an issue for him, but I think it might well be for anyone any heftier. It certainly would not suit Son1 who is kind of 'rugby player' type build.

On the whole, he's happy with it. It's very comfortable to wear, it's easy to wear. It is, I think hard wearing, it's a working garment, it's very suitable for his woodland/riverside/fields sort of walking.

Also, as an aside, it's cotton, it's safe enough around sparks from a fire too :)

M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
£22 for the second smallest size for Himself.... and as @demographic said, it's a grey sort of blue. Quite nice actually, sort of muted enough to disappear into the woodlands or waterside.

It's like no ventile I've ever handled before. It's quite heavy 'looking' but it's not actually heavy. It's waterproof, but not windproof he says :dunno: Might be because as mentioned above there are no zips....on t'other hand, there's nothing to jam, so that's a win.
The pockets are really small. You'd not get a lot in them, and definitely not for shoving hands in out of the weather. Seem very secure somehow though.

Himself is a neat 32" waist and the elastic at the waistband isn't an issue for him, but I think it might well be for anyone any heftier. It certainly would not suit Son1 who is kind of 'rugby player' type build.

On the whole, he's happy with it. It's very comfortable to wear, it's easy to wear. It is, I think hard wearing, it's a working garment, it's very suitable for his woodland/riverside/fields sort of walking.

Also, as an aside, it's cotton, it's safe enough around sparks from a fire too :)

M
Yeah, I have recently bought a Tilak Odin Ventile jacket (sure wasn't 29 quid either) and the fabric on this surplus jacket is significantly more coarse in its weave than the Tilak
I've only tested it in the sink so far and the hood held water well, better than I expected.
I'm sure I'll know a bit more soon enough as I take the dogs out this weekend.
As for the elasication, even the wrists are ever so slightly tight but I have knocking on for 8 inch circ wrists and often have to get different straps for watches and so on.
Last time i bought motorcycle gloves they had to be XXL (although I think the sizing on bike gloves is aimed at Danni Pedrossa in general and not Cumbrian Carpenters) so I know I have fairly big wrists.
The styling (or possibly just the grey) looks ever so slightly Chairman Mao to me but I reckon I can pull it off :)

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
@demographic

The one we got didn't have elastic at the cuffs, just a tab and a couple of studs to adjust the diameter to fit. It's certainly roomy enough on Himself, but he's one of those neat wee wiry build types.

I reckon they're meant to be worn over a wool pullover, so that'll suit Himself fine.
I don't think I'd be happy seeing him wear it out anywhere other than a local-ish wander somehow.
But then, we're so used to 'technical' garments now that we see basic ones in a different kind of light.

M

Edited; He's just off for his afternoon walk, and it does actually have elasticated inners on the wrists. Wide enough to be comfortable on him, but he's not physically big boned or muscley. Again, I don't think this would sit comfortably on Son1. I think demographic called it on this too.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE