Weekend in Caledonian pine forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Calurix

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 12, 2010
Moray, Scotland
Got the chance to get away for a couple of days for a walk in the Rothiemurchus, Glenmore area.

Here was my base camp with the tarp I got on the group buy, It was great for cooking space and somewhere to sit out in the evening.
p1000510d.jpg

I decided to take a circular route via Loch Morlich over to Loch an Eilein and back again.

p1000454r.jpg

Some Juniper berries.

p1000514o.jpg

Lochan nan Geadas.

p1000519.jpg

p1000529b.jpg

On the road to Rothiemurchus lodge when I had taken a wrong turn :eek: .

p1000533v.jpg

p1000532y.jpg

A Capercaillie, this is the first time I have ever seen one. The bird was a fair size I recon it was about a foot tall.

There were also Red squirrel (never had the camera handy) and plenty of types of finch.

p1000534y.jpg

p1000538y.jpg

Castle ruin on Loch an Eilein.

panorama2wb.jpg

All in all a good days walk.

Regards,
Calurix

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thanks for sharing, I spend a fair bit of time around there and have never seen a Capercaillie either. Nice one!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its brought back good memories for me too, the forests around there are magic. I can't believe you managed to get so close to that Caipercaillie-are you sure it wasn't a wild haggis in a Caipercaillie suit? All my pics are much further away.

Thanks for posting, Its nice to see it in early spring.

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Great pics bud , i walked that path years ago, what an amazing area i love it up there , you are a lucky man seeing the elusive Capercaillie,... well done bud , the only capercaillie i've seen is the band ... haa haa

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Great pics bud , i walked that path years ago, what an amazing area i love it up there , you are a lucky man seeing the elusive Capercaillie,... well done bud , the only capercaillie i've seen is the band ... haa haa

Well, Karen Mathison is not a bad looking bird either!

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Real good pics ! looks like you had a good trip and the weather held up as well, bonus !!

Cheers

Jason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE