Weekend Bimble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Good Morning All,

I'm going for a little bimble this weekend as I have not been out for quite a while.

The general plan is to walk from mine to the in-laws (50km) and sharpen up a few skills.

My aim is to set up camp while it is still light (I usually set-up after dark and set off before dawn) and carry out the following:

Build a wind shield for a fire.
Set a fire without lighter / matches (I'm making some char cloth tonight and will be using a lexada fire box type affair)
Maintain a small fire for at least 1 hour.
Gather a maya stick (There is some dead pine around).

I plan this year to carry out small focused trips to sharpen skills rather than try everything at once.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for what I plan or general advice?

Kind regards,

Ollie

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Without knowing things like the route, load-out carried and your level of fitness that's a tough call. Hitting the ground cold and covering 25km is possible, the problem comes repeating it the following day. Most long distance hikers will work up to this kind of daily average distance over the course of several days.

Ibuprofen, Cho-Pat knee straps (failing that compression bandage or duct tape)

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ah, good point, apologies.

It's a gentle stroll across the national forest from Melbourne to Tamworth, only about 40km in total after a second check.

The actual walk is very much a walk in the park, we were carrying about 60 kg of fighting gear on exercise so distance and weight is no issue now, I'm carrying pretty much everything in a 60 lite bag weighing about 15kg.

Ibuprofen is always a winner, as long as I have that and my omeprazole I can do anything.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
So total score for the weekend was 3/4:

Great success starting a fire with ferro rod and char cloth I had made during the week and I managed to maintain the fire for 4 hours before turning in for the night. The little wind shield built did a cracking job reflecting the head back under the tarp. Unfortunately I didn't find a pine tree for the maya stick.

Lessons learnt were:
Gather as much firewood as you need and then triple it.
Keep the tarp higher and tighter. (Not in the military any more so unlikely to get a bollocking for being too visible)
Inflatable roll mats go outside of the bivvi bag. (It might be worth getting a ground sheet to prevent punctures on the roll mat.

Luckily I had the foresight to fill my mess tins with water before I went to bed so I could melt the ice in the morning, my water bottle was frozen when I woke up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE