Webbing baldric from paracord...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've been playing around with some lengths of paracord. My idea was to make a baldric for my woodlore using macrame knots - but I wanted something wide and flat to distribute the weight of my knife, rather than a length of "rope".

I think the results are pretty good and it was actually very easy to make. In the baldric below, I used 4 x 4 metre lengths of paracord, which made about 20" or so of webbing @ about 1.25" wide...

webbing001.jpg

Very easy to make (bit boring though), using just hundreds of simple overhand knots. The result though, is very effective, apart from having a resource of about 20 metres of paracord for use in an emergency, it's a lightweight and waterproof baldric that effectively distributes the weight of the knife. Very, very strong as well - I would even dare to say you could replace a strap on your bergen with this in an emergency.

I'm happy with it for a first attempt, but I want to make a longer one and weave in some "D" rings on the ends, I might do a photo tutorial if anyone is interested.

D

Dutchman

Martyn said:
I think the results are pretty good and it was actually very easy to make.
I'm happy with it for a first attempt, but I want to make a longer one and weave in some "D" rings on the ends, I might do a photo tutorial if anyone is interested.

Fantastic Martyn! just what i was looking for, so i'm definitly interested.
I posted a question earlier to faca, i'm sure he's got some
great solutions to :wink:

cheers

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Martyn,

Looks good but I'm curious how you actually tied it.

Martyn said:
Very easy to make (bit boring though), using just hundreds of simple overhand knots.

I don't see how tying lots of overhand knots would get that result! :-?

Do you have a close up phot with more detail?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
cool, I've got some more paracord on order from the US, so when it arrives, I'll put something together. Here are a couple more detail shots of the front and back and for scale...

webbing002.jpg

webbing003.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Martyn,

Looks good but I'm curious how you actually tied it.

Martyn said:
Very easy to make (bit boring though), using just hundreds of simple overhand knots.

I don't see how tying lots of overhand knots would get that result! :-?

Do you have a close up phot with more detail?

No probs Stew, you can see the knot method I adapted in this macrame instruction...

http://www.elainecraft.com/instructions/instruc.dhh.html

It's basically the starter row, repeated over and over, rather than staggering the knots to get diamonds, you just do em all parrallel.

The half hitch, as used in macramé, can be thought of as a variation on the knot you use when you start to tie your shoe. The main difference is that when you tie your shoes, the two laces, or cords, are treated equally. When making a half hitch, or double half hitch in macramé, one of the cords is your knot bearer and you will hold that cord tightly and knot the other cord around it.

It's honestly very, very easy. :-D

TIP: instead of starting with the loops attached to a dowel as in the macrame instructions (I used a bic biro), start the loops onto an old "D" ring, then your finished webbing will already have a D ring attached to one end.

D

Dutchman

Hmmm....maybe not a bad idea to make a webbing belt in this manner...looks very comfortable.

I want to make a neck lanyard out of one single piece of rope, 3mm/10m,
witch is adjustable in lenght to go also under armpit and around waist.

Uptill now i find the best solution using the butterfly, because it shortens the rope quite a bit and unknots in one draw.
Very easy and quick to make as well.
http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_butterfly_stitch.htm

But i will have a go and see of it works for me...my new alan wood is not to arrive before summer however :cry:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'll have to remember that with the D-ring ...

I'm hoping it's as easy as you say Martyn!

Martyn said:
TIP: instead of starting with the loops attached to a dowel as in the macrame instructions (I used a bic biro), start the loops onto an old "D" ring, then your finished webbing will already have a D ring attached to one end.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Has anyone tried making this sort of thing out of leather?

This place http://www.leprevo.co.uk/thonging.html has more than enough types of leather 'cord' to choose from.

Just wondered if anyone had given it a go. I am getting a new knife soon so I will try unless someone comes up with a reason it isn't practical. Links to any more examples of neck straps, baldricks etc would be appreciated for ideas.

Does anyone have a cheap source of good paracord while we are on the subject?

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE