Wayland's got a brand new bag....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A few of you have seen the small leather bags that I tend to pack bits of my gear in before but I decided it was time to make myself a simple knapsack for use as a day pack.

Following the "Crafts" thread I thought I had better post the result up here.

Leather_Bags.jpg

For scale, my stove set is in the middle of the left hand cluster of three bags and the right hand bag contains a 16cm billy.

I reckon it's about 30 litre and the design is based on a small pack I had as a kid (35 years ago now) which was one of the best simple packs I've ever seen.

I wanted it to be light, unfussy and easily repaired in the field.

It's made from hand tanned reindeer hides I bought from a Sami trader a couple of years ago when I travelled up to Karasjok in Finnmark with cow hide for the straps and all hand stitched with linen of course.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There is a drawstring gathering the top under the flap. The design is not much more than an open "box" it's the gathering that gives it shape.

I've heavily waxed the leather for some proofing but a dry bag would give more security.

At the moment the leather is dumping surplus wax which gives it a slightly sticky feel but it should settle down to a nice soft feel after a while.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's taken on a lovely patina Gary. Very, very nice. On a photographic note, do you set up these shots on a tripod with a self timer, or have you got someone else with you? Your set piece photos are always brilliant. Care to tell us how you set one up?

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE