Waxing pertex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Has any one ever used wax to waterproof a pertex garment the good old fashioned way you would wax cotton? Are there any good reasons not to? I have used wash in DWR treatments in the past and frankly they are pants.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
No, cannot say I have ever even heard of doing that. Does not sound a good idea. Pertex's selling points are light weight, packability, tight windproof weave with a degree of breathability. Waxing will compromise all of those in the hope of increasing water resistance. My experience with Nikwax on single layer and thin double layer nylon and polyester is that it doesn't work all that well when there is already some commercial PFC type DWR on the fabric.

I would have doubts about how well cotton waxing wax would stay in such a tight, smooth and non-absorbent weave as Pertex. You could try it on a swatch.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Pertex was never really made as a waterproof fabric so, by attempting to wax it, you are trying to make it become something it isn't. I'd leave it alone and enjoy its performance as a lightweight, windproof fabric that 'breathes' pretty well and dries very quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE